1977 Johnson - Having trouble finding a part number

spencroy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello Guys,
1977 Johnson ? 115 - 115EL775 - Ranger Fish and Play

I need help finding the correct part. The gasket/seal between the upper and lower unit on my outboard for the exhaust housing is bad.
(see http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=272197 for details)

Judging from the BRP catalog it is this part:
26 0314937
Add to pick list SEAL,Gearcase to inner hsg. 1 3
thesealIneed.jpg

does anyone know if that is correct (anyone have an idea of which iboats part number 18-XXXXX?) I am trying to get my order together, and I just need this part to complete it. I am sure I am just not looking in the right place, but could use a direction.

Also, I appear to have a great deal of oil resedue in the exhaust houseing, does this indicate I have my oil/gas mixed to rich (note: I also have a great deal of grey smoke at startup)

Assming my mix is to rich, how should I handle that situation? Do I have to drain the tank, or shall I just add straight gas (say 5 gallons and retest)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 Johnson - Having trouble finding a part number

My eyes arent very good, but that looks like an unburnt fuel/oil mix to me. Have a read here.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=207285

Whenever I change my waterpump/impeller, I usually spend a couple mintes cleaning the exhaust with some Deep Creep.

Do not play with the mixture. I hope you are mixing at 50:1. This mixture needs to be exact, use a measuring cup of some kind.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is no Sierra / iboats interchange for 314937. You have to get it from a dealer or BRP.

There is SUPPOSED to be oil in the exhaust. That is the oil that you put in the gas. Some of it gets burned (smoke) but some of it goes out the exhaust. If it ALL got burned there would be no lubrication in the exhaust port area, which by the way is the quickest wearing part of the cylinders. Mix your gas 50:1 suing good quality oil and the rest will take care of itself.

spencroy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help guys. After reading the article HighTrim suggested I feel a little better (but bumed that iboats doesnt have the part, guess I will have to find a dealer here in Austin)

I am trying to add 1 container of oil to each 5 gallons, but this summer I added the can of oil and then pumped my gas (huge mistake as I was only short 3 gallons from full at the time) and I think that is why I am a little rich at present. However, if I stay consistent from here out it should work
(the reason I made the mistake is the gas gauge is also out, but I have been so busy trying to fix major mechanical problems that I have not fixed it yet.. I know.. not excuse)

Thanks as always
Roy