1977 Johnson 70EL77s

GilliganGirl

Cadet
I have a 1977 Johnson 70EL77s. Compression tested at 125. It starts instantly and runs like a top! The prop has a nice hunk missing.

I have located another 70EL77s for a 'parts' motor. The connector rod is pooched and I have some serious concerns about the amount of internal damage - apparently it died last year with a loud clunk - the flywheel wiggles and maybe moves a few inches with some coaxing. But the prop is fine. Is there any reason I can't swap out the props? And is that something left done by a professional or is it something that anyone with a little common sense and mechanical understanding could do.

Sorry ... little history ... I am the proud new owner of a '77 Crestliner/AMF Muskie 550 which came with a perfectly running 70EL77s, a compromised hull (it's not taking on water - yet) and a crappy trailer. The boat/motor package was bought together in '77 and I'm only the second owner - I am planning to restore it. Yes, I'm a fool. But it's a cool little boat! Oh yeah ... it's my first boat too.

I'm sure I'll have a LOT of dumb questions.
:redface:

5935_103008632091_508452091_2014986_2905192_n.jpg

Last edited:

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1977 Johnson 70EL77s

Shouldnt be an issue to swap the props. Double check that the pitch is the same, or at least similar, and all is well. it just takes removing a cotter pin and the nut, so its a simple job to do

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1977 Johnson 70EL77s

I have a service manual for your model and use it for my 1977 70hp Evinrude. If you can't find another original and need an explanation of how to, will be glad to email a few pages of info to you. Its square edge bound so would not be easy to replicate and you may be able to find one on ebay like I did or buy one of the aftermarket generic brands.

PS Mighty fine looking ride you have there and that motor in my opinion was one of the best ever built in the HP range. Economical and easy to work on plus many parts still available. If the price isn't outrageous and it's local, go ahead and get the parts motor. Check used parts prices on ebay if you want a comparison.

Safe boating ya'll