1977 internal 2 wire trim motor has broken wire - fixable?

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The blue wire going to the trim motor has broken off. Can the top of the motor be removed by the visible bolts on top to repair the connection or is the motor shot? Motor worked before broken wire.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 internal 2 wire trim motor has broken wire - fixable?

How close to the motor is the break rg? If you have the length, butt splice it back together and follow up with a double layer of heat shrink with sealant.

If the break is in the grommet entering the motor, maybe all you need to do is remove the grommet for a fix.

The two screw on top of the motor usually hold the motor to the top of the reservoir. If you need to remove the motor, I would suggest draining the reservoir first.

And as usual, a good service manual would help. If you would give the model number, we might be able to find out if the cap with the brush and lead assembly is still available.

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All I have is a clymer manual. The trim motor on my outboard is similar to the 1976 motor. There is no grommet or fixture viewable for the wires to pass thru. I have been searching the internet for a better picture, but have not been able to find one. Have looked for a factory manual, but have had no luck.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

How do the wires get into the motor? Usually the wires pass through threaded fixture with a rubber grommet inside. Once the wires are through, the fixture is threaded together compressing the grommet forming a water tight seal around the wire.

Could you supply us with a model number? This may help. Does the unit set between the transom brackets or is there a lift bracket bolted to the swivel swivel bracket?