1977 Ford V8 188hp, trouble starting

krivnalyendi

Cadet
I've got a weird problem with my old Ranger. Despite brand new plugs, fuel lines, water/fuel pumps, rebuilt carb, starter, etc. it still has a helluva time starting. <br /><br />Once it's running, it runs great (every once in a while it will die, but it's rare enough not to bother me). It's a real pain to get it started - I have to find the "g spot", giving it just enough gas while in neutral (oh yes, and the moons of Jupiter must be aligned) before she'll start up. <br /><br />I'm not much of a mechanic, but even my gearhead buddies are baffled. I'm going to install an electronic ignition system as soon as I get the money - any chance that will fix it? Is there anything I can do in the meantime?<br /><br />Thanks!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 Ford V8 188hp, trouble starting

Have you changed the points, checked the timing? Choke working properly? Who re-built the carb? I have the same motor('73),& two pumps and it starts right up. I think your problem is choke/carb/fuel related.....Just my thoughts.....There are other Ford guys on this forum, who have way more experience than me, and you should wait for more feedback. I have heard that the electronic ignition can help with easier starts though.......J