1977 Evinrude 70 Trail Lock Trim Tilt Problem

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yesterday my son dragged home a "piece of junk" boat he acquired. It has an Evinrude 197 70 hp. I'm not familiar with how to set/release the trail lock arm on the engine and can't seem to get it to release.

The power trim seems to not be lifting it high enough to disengage the arm. I suspect the trim unit to be low on oil as there are some leaks from the cylinders. The pump does apply pressure down but not up.

I have opened the hydraulic release screw on the pump to enable manual tilt but still can't raise the engine any higher.

I guess I'm trying to figure out just how the trail lock arm releases.

Anyone know?

Steve

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1977 Evinrude 70 Trail Lock Trim Tilt Problem

try putting motor into forward. tilt, run motor up, and lifting get it as high as you can, lock it in place. now fill the unit with power steering fluid, replace cap, now lower motor, the back up, refill, seal. repeat, repeat, repeat. when it finally does it on it's own. cycle it 6 times and recheck.

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replay Tashasdaddy. The problem is it is up and I can't seem to get it released. I'm totally unfamiliar with how the trail lock is to be set/released.

I wonder if there's an air lock? Wonder if I released the cylinders from the motor if I could cycle and fill/purge the system.

Please advise.

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply Tashasdaddy. I replied earlier in the day but apparently it didn't post.

The problem is/was that it was up and I couldn't get it up to release the trail lock. I removed the cylinders from the engine and was able to manually tilt it to release the lock. In doing so I discovered that the left cylinder (which I think must be a tilt function only but I'm not certain) is dry and stuck. I got it free so that I could extend it manually but can't get it to retract. A most curious problem. It is getting no hydraulic pressure in either extend or retract (raise or lower) modes. I'm not certain what the cause is but I'm certain I'll at least need another left cylinder.

Any suggestions?

Steve