1977 70hp multiple coil failures

Strokers

Recruit
I have a 1977 70hp johnson sea horse. Have owned boat for last year and half and has been running good until couple weeks ago. We took boat out and the number 3 coil failed limped boat back to dock and brought it home. I ordered a set of 3 coils to replace all of them. Took boat out following weekend and it burned up another coil on bottom cylinder I replaced the coil with older coil on the water and used motor for another hour and then it also burnt out. Was unable to get boat started could have flooded and ran battery down. Got the boat home and ordered a new power pack and another set of coils. Replaced power pack and coils took boat out this last weekend and it again burnt up coil for cylinder number 3.
After the first failure I used my meter to check ground to the coil mounts and negative cable and of which are 0. I replace the spark plug wires every time I replaced a coil. The power pack and coils were replaced with cdi units when I first got the boat last year and had been working great till couple weeks ago. At this point I am confused what to do next.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???--------No such thing as coils failing like that on those motors.--Never heard of a motor doing that like yours.--------Something is wrong with the stator or trigger coils.--------Test this stuff per the CDI trouble shooting guide.

Strokers

Recruit
i went thru all the ohm measurements per the cdi troubleshooting instructions. i do not have a dva to check voltage but am unsure if it could over produce

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Just for grins - what type of plug wire are you using? Should be solid core, NOT carbon/graphite core...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
When you say the coil burnt up, exactly what does the coil look like. Is it an actual charred coil or just won't fire or ohm out correctly anymore?