1977 200HP Evinrude doesn't engage forward or reverse without manual help

lorenjones

Recruit
Hi,

I'm, new here and want to say thanks in advance for any advice. I just picked up an old Steury tri-hull runabout with this 200HP Evinrude. I paid $500 for the whole rig so it doesn't owe me much.

The engine runs well. It doesn't shift into forward or reverse unless there is a second person back by the motor to push the linkage just a little further than what the shift cable moves it then it will go into gear. This is true of forward and reverse. There is very little play in the cable. There was an old cable in the boat that had been replaced with a newer one and it had very little play either. So I am kind of thinking it isn't a problem with worn cables. Once it engages the gear with some assistance as described it stays in gear and pulls fine. The problem occurs in both forward and reverse. I am wondering if it is a problem inside the shifter/control box at the front or possibly a problem inside the gearcase such as the clutch dog.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Loren

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You'll want to disconnect the shift cable at the engine end. When running, shift the engine by hand. Forward and reverse. If it shifts ok, then the problem is not with the engine, but the shifter/linkage/cable. Before reconnecting the cable do some testing. Shift the engine into forward by hand. The shift the control box to forward. Compare the location of the shifter stud/bolt with the cable end hole. See if they align or not. The should or the cable must be adjusted via the thumbwheel at the cowling end. Do the same in reverse. Check the stud with the hole in the plastic cable end. You need to adjust the engine end of the shift cable such that it moves the engine's shift lever to the same location as when you shifted it by hand. If you can get the engine to make WOT, likely the clutch dog is ok.

lorenjones

Recruit
Thanks emdsapmgr. I will troubleshoot it that way tonight. It will hold WOT with no problem of slipping out once I manually help it shift. I will report back.