1977 15hp Johnson - remote controls

2dogsnight

Cadet
Just got this motor - long shaft, electric start.
Compression: upper 115 psi, lower 110 psi.
it's a convert to remote controls - home made - looking for a correct way to do it - parts lists etc. Have a repair manual on order.
Also looking for a correct remote controls, cables or part numbers etc.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Remote control adapter kit is part #387763. Then a standard two-lever Evinrude Simplex or Johnson Shipmaster control completes it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
guess I’m curious about what you’ve got and what you want. If you have the factory electric start, you could leave that in place and start/choke at the motor. For the remote throttle cable, though, you have to relocate (or remove) the stop button. The factory set up relocates the stop button to a piece that attaches to the front of the pan. It might look a little odd.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
A remote control adapter kit.

Attachments

• photo301068.png
    photo301068.png
    17 KB · Views: 0

2dogsnight

Cadet
I will take some pictures tomorrow....still not sure how to post pictures.
Basically, manual controls has been removed and now just cut off wires are hanging from holes in the lover cowl
her is a picture from ebay…

Attachments

• photo301094.jpg
    photo301094.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0

2dogsnight

Cadet
took few pictures today. Looks like there is no mount for shifter linkage, throttle has a cable but may not be mounted to function properly, there are two sets of wires coming out - one must be to start the motor, the other not sure.

Attachments

• photo301109.jpg
    photo301109.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well sure there is no mount for the shifter, etc. You don't have the remote control adapter kit. Also, the motor is supposed to have a starter button in that big hole in the side of the front casting. It probably was removed to allow for remote starting.

EDIT: On second thought, you said it is a conversion. So maybe it never had the starter button? If you want remote starting you will need a solenoid and wires to extend up front. I think there was a kit for that, but can't find it offhand.

Last edited:

2dogsnight

Cadet
Well sure there is no mount for the shifter, etc. You don't have the remote control adapter kit. Also, the motor is supposed to have a starter button in that big hole in the side of the front casting. It probably was removed to allow for remote starting.

EDIT: On second thought, you said it is a conversion. So maybe it never had the starter button? If you want remote starting you will need a solenoid and wires to extend up front. I think there was a kit for that, but can't find it offhand.

you know, I think it would work better to have the starter button on the motor itself.....that should simplify the whole thing
……..I assume that it was home fit for some sort of remote controls...….just got it off ebay a week ago...…..and looks like was "rigged" to fit whatever the purpose of that was.
I would like it to be able to control the throttle, gear shifting and steering the boat via remote controls...…...

2dogsnight

Cadet
guess I’m curious about what you’ve got and what you want. If you have the factory electric start, you could leave that in place and start/choke at the motor. For the remote throttle cable, though, you have to relocate (or remove) the stop button. The factory set up relocates the stop button to a piece that attaches to the front of the pan. It might look a little odd.

motor has starter in it...….there is no start button.....I would like to go back to that...….or not - whatever would be easier to do at this point

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I boils down to the question of what you want. If you want remote controls, you need the controls and a remote control adapter kit to connect it to the motor.

If you are happy with pushing a button on the motor to start it, then go to a parts list for an electric start motor and pick out the button & cable assy.

2dogsnight

Cadet
Remote control adapter kit is part #387763. Then a standard two-lever Evinrude Simplex or Johnson Shipmaster control completes it.

just purchased the Johnson Shipmaster off ebay
no Adapter kit on Boats.com....or iBoats either

Attachments

• photo301215.jpg
    photo301215.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Yep, the numbers are missing. I guess that means the parts are no longer available. But when they were available, the numbers were:

115---319601 Nut
116---581761 Starter button and cable assy
118---321963 Boot, start button

2dogsnight

Cadet
Yep, the numbers are missing. I guess that means the parts are no longer available. But when they were available, the numbers were:

115---319601 Nut
116---581761 Starter button and cable assy
118---321963 Boot, start button

so far one supplier posting this as discontinued.
Thank you for description with each part number - that's a big help.
Good news - just found a mobile outboard repairman - just 10 min from where I live. He said that he has the parts - didn't investigate further, but my reasoning was that good repair man should be able to use parts from other motors to fix mine!