1976 Starcraft 16' SS (Restoration)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 Starcraft 16' SS (Restoration)

Console attachment point

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Funny, I have a giant pile of stuff that looks like that.:facepalm: Though, the pile is starting to dwindle as I find interesting uses for each of the pieces.:D

jones01m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the detailed pictures. This is giving me a lot of ideas for the final configuration of my restoration. This is very helpful.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

Funny, I have a giant pile of stuff that looks like that..... Though, the pile is starting to dwindle as I find interesting uses for each of the pieces.

Sad part is my pile is getting bigger by the day Jason.... lol.

Thanks for all the detailed pictures. This is giving me a lot of ideas for the final configuration of my restoration. This is very helpful.

Thanks Jones.... Im close to having it done :D

Got the windshield installed, it went well and matched up very nicely.... except for the fact that i overtightened one windshield bolt on the port side too tight and it snapped.... it sounded like a canon when it snapped..... so overtightening those bolts is a bad idea. Snugging them up would have been just sufficient :D.

windshield.jpg

Also got the inside gunwales carpeted. I do plan on however cutting up some heavy rubber mat/flooring for the inside shelf section of the gunwale. I dont think carpet here would be a wise decision. My kids might leave snacks or gum that would never get out. Plus I can imagine.. spending about 30 minutes trying to get out a fishing lure stuck in the carpet shelf:

carpet.jpg

Last but not least I finished the rear panels. After I had installed them I realized they were a pretty tight fit. I wish I would have dry-fit everything and accounted for the vinyl and plastic rail addition to the thickness of the board:

stern-1.jpg

My to do list before splash includes:
- Varnish and install dash on console
- Install drain tubes in splashwell
- Rubber/mat inside gunwales
- Install pedestals and seats
- Mount motor and steering controls
- Wire lights and gauges
- SPLASH

I plan on finishing the lower gunwale panels.... after the splash. I wanna get a few outings on the water before it gets too cold here. Then I can spend more time on making them look nice... instead of rushing :D

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Dude - Hurry up - I was out on Erie Saturday and TOWED A SEARAY IN!!!
Out yesterday on Canandaigua!!

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

Well... Im coming around the bend. The dash and steering wheel are installed (I liked the wood look so I varnished some teak I cut out for the dash panels):

dash.jpg

The seats are in and installed:

seats-1.jpg

The control box is on and wired up:

controlbox.jpg

I had a few problems however...... I had lost my keys a few months ago. So I had to install a new ignition switch. It was no biggie a few wires and $30 later.... motor wouldnt turn on :(. OK I was like .... HUH. So after some deduction and another $30 for a starter solenoid/relay. I am happy to report the motor turns over and purrs like a kitten with the lightest of a key turn :D:D.

I am ready to splash on Monday ......... wish me luck.

I do realize Im not completely done with the resto.... I also realize summer is coming to a very quick and abrupt end. I wanted to therefore get the boat water ready and finish the other things in the fall and spring and have those done by next summer.

I need to:
1. Install fish/depth finder
2. Cut/epoxy and vinyl side panels
3. Paint control box
4. Install tilt and trim
5. Finish cleaning some of the aluminum railing/trim
6. Install gauges and etc.

etc....etc..

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

7. Get new steering wheel :p

Looking good and good luck on your splash!

andythomas

Seaman Apprentice

just wanted to say thanks for showing off the splash well in your photos i have to try and biuld one from scratch. wonderful looking boat you have. you don't have any measurements or plans for the bow components do you, yep have to do that by hand too lol

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

7. Get new steering wheel :p Looking good and good luck on your splash!

Thanks EZ.... right now I cant get a new wheel. I used some "back in black" product from Mothers. With a few coats it works very well :)

just wanted to say thanks for showing off the splash well in your photos i have to try and biuld one from scratch. wonderful looking boat you have. you don't have any measurements or plans for the bow components do you, yep have to do that by hand too lol

Thanks Andy... I actually had written down measurements for the flooring because I had to cut mine without a template. I have since figured out that I lost them. I wrote it down on a piece of paper in a messy workshop. I think that led to it accidentially ending up in the garbage. sorry.

Well the splash went well. except I hooked up the steering backwards. I freaked out at first trying to get to the dock.... lol. But after a few mins I got used to it. I plan on fixing that today. The motor ran flawless. It has a slight grinding when going into gear. Im not sure if it needs some lower unit oil.... which I plan on changing in the next few days, or just because its an older motor. Our golden was the queen of the ship. She owns the bow and loved the ride. We had a great time...heres some pics :D

a-2.jpg

c-2.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

A successful splash with backwards steering is a bit of a rite of passage for many of us.:facepalm::redface:

Glad to hear the motor is running well:D

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

Another great job! This forum has been fullmof sucess stories. Congrats on getting it wet. You have done great work there. I am inspired to finish the inside of my boat now.

Looking forward to more pics, and again, fine job.

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice looking boat. I love the teak on the dash, I think I'm going to steal that idea from Ya'. :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Congrats! Looking good. I'm thinking we had this conversation already but......you aren't easing it into gear are you? You need quick firm shifts. You won't do it any favors easing it in.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks HA, Bunker and Hoss...... The splash lived up too all of its expectations and more.

Congrats! Looking good. I'm thinking we had this conversation already but......you aren't easing it into gear are you? You need quick firm shifts. You won't do it any favors easing it in.

By the way I was easing it into gear. I was trying to be gentle.... but i this case im supposed to do what you said EZ (my dad also told me the same thing)... get it into gear swiftly... then ease on the throttle :D.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

Well I figured I would tinker with the boat today. I have always like the way a rigging tube looks on the newer OB's. So here was my attempt at it. I intalled a boot which was needed and bought a pool filter hose for $10. It looked pretty good in the package with a charcoal grey and black so here is my splashwell all buttoned up :D

Not perfect but it looks better than it did... in fact im so nerdy I even used some of my old sports cloth tape to tape up the red steering cable :D

1-8.jpg

O by the way its my tilt and trim cables in the mesh bag.... Im gonna hook those up later and didnt wanna scratch the splashwell too bad.

64osby

Admiral

JB - Nice touch in the well there. Gets me thinking.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

Well guys.... i have been away from the the boat and forums like 5-6 weeks. Ill give ya a short story why......

My second and last outing was on a local small lake. Couple of us cruising around for about 20-30 minutes. We stopped to take a swim then hopped aboard and motor was a no go. Turned - nothing - turned - nothing. I tried to get it running but to no avail. The top of the flywheel was extememly hot... anyway.... Upset and dejected (since this is the second OB which has failed me :(). When I got home without thinking.... backed into my driveway only to crack and bend the skeg pretty bad. Guess I forgot to tilt the motor up before hand :( ... bad luck maybe - stupidity definately. At this point I was so upset I just left the SS in the garage without even looking at it for the past 5 weeks..... well i looked at it a few times out of the corner of my eye with a sneer.... but that was all

Sooooooo yesterday.... I figured it was time to cover it up and winterize. I decided to joke with myself and try the motor.... and what do you know, it started with the second key turn????????? Now im not as upset......... but now winter is very near. I hope we have a long and hot summer next year :)

zigzag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like wiring..

things to do for winter:

check all wiring/battery
replace thermostat
replace impeller
make sure water jacket is not clogged

or... you could just give me everything n ill get rid of it for ya!

does this motor have a tell tale?? my 70 is from the mid 70's and had no tell tale... i tapped into the water jacket and added a brass thread to barb fitting to add one.. i keep it so it shots water straight up in the air so i can see it at all times..

there's info/threads somewhere on the site about tapping the block.. pretty easy to do.

dont let that TnT go without telling us first!