1976 Sears Eska Ted Williams Outboard running problem

KLDARMY

Cadet
I have this motor and it runs fine. I know a good bit about it from reading the forums and what not here. gas is mixed 50:1 . I just replaced the water pump and now it pumps water great and I replaced the lower unit. Previous owner had broke the fin off the bottom. I have a leak coming out of the vent in the lower. I filled it with marine grease and it has been leaking out for at least a week after use. The motor also seems to have about half the power I would think that it would have. I have a newer yamaha 3hp and the 9.9 ted williams does not push much faster. I had the same 3 people and the same gear on the same boat(14ft starcraft v bottom) when it was taken out. Don't really know what it could be. It seems to be running fine other than the leak and that it's slow. Is it really normal for an old 9.9hp to be pushing it about the same speed as a newer 3hp? Any ideas or help is appreciated.

Re: 1976 Sears Eska Ted Williams Outboard running problem

welcome to iboats. i would have o say that you are down a cyl. these mtors will sometimes seem to run allright with only 1. check the spark. if you have spark on both then its a fuel problem. but my bet is on eska ss syndrome. good luck

KLDARMY

Cadet

Checked both cylinders both have spark. Cleaned carb and adjusted it.
Checked compression also and both cylinders have around 100psi. I ran it in a barel and it ran like a scalded dog. It seems to be running good now.I'd say that it was the carb. We had just cleaned it a few weeks prior to taking it out but must be dirty fuel. There was a bit of dirt in it. Still leaking lower gear oil. I just filled it, is it possible to put soo much in it pushes it up through the mid shaft section? It's running out the lower and mid sections. I just replaced the seals in there also when I replaced the water pump and changed the lower unit. This is what I believe to be lower gear grease but it was clear when I put it in and now whats running out is dark black. I am wondering if it's not exhaust , maybe residual oil and fuel? Thanks for any help

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Split/torn shift linkage boot?

did you replace the seal under the boot ? the boot just keeps the shaft clean and prevents the seal from getting scored. if its not runing properly you will get a lot of black stuff. and just because it seemed to work well in the barrel does not mean that it will work well on a boat. the gear oil in mine turns dark very quickly. i just change it a couple times a season.i have also had the terminal shaft seal"brand new" go bad and star to leak after 6 monthes in the basement. one never really knows, just keep trudging.

KLDARMY

Cadet

Yes I did replace the seal under the boot. I am going to take it apart this weekend and look at it to see if it looks like it is leaking anywhere. One thing I did notice that the shaft did not turn easy before. I just replaced the shear pin and prop because I noticed that the prop bushing was cracked and had bent the shear pin. I guess because the bushing was weak it placed so much stress on the shear pin that it bent. I am going to go out this weekend and test it and then take it a part one last time and if I can't figure it out I may take it to an outboard mechanic or just sell it and buy a newer non-solid state ignition 9.9 motor.

M

mrcrabs

maybe residual oil and fuel?
Yep residual oil & creamy carbon, older 9.9's & 15's with the big flywheel to my knowlage were born with out thermostats which when mix with 32:1 fuel to oil mixture leads to lots of carbon build up...this was the spec in 1973 for the 380 & 381 engine in 1974 Tecumseh changed it to 50:1 and called them 380A and 381A , later builds with the small flywheel use a thermostat. I can only speculate on why they made these design changes.
Now when I seafoam a old outboard creamy carbon leaks down and from the leg everytime you get them good and hot...takes alot of run time to get them flushed and then regular maintance of seafoam or other favorite decarb cleaner,
sounds to me you are carboned up and need to run about 6 gallon of fuel treated heavy with seafoam....and run the crapola out of it for a week or more.

KLDARMY

Cadet

I have been running sea foam through it and the problem is getting worse. Guess I forgot to say that. I think you're right, that's what it is. but the more I run it the more comes out but the better it runs. I have ran about a gallon and a half of six gallons through. I have ran the motor about 4 times since I started the treatment. I'm going to take it out on the boat tonight or tomorrow and run it. I'm going to try to use all the gas up. Then see what it does. Thanks for everyone's input.

M

mrcrabs

I would say your almost there as to cleaning the rings and exhaust ports but the carbon that builds up and down the leg will cream out until you stop the seafoam treatment...

KLDARMY

Cadet

I haven't ran it in about 4 days and it is still running out though. My thought was if it was lower gear oil how is it pushing up before it comes out, where it is running out is above the lower. It makes more sense for it to be carbon buildup. I just never thought about the sea foam doing that much. I guess that means its working though. I mean this motor is a 1976. Kind of like a gun that is constantly fired and never been cleaned I guess. There is just a ton of carbon, it's unbelievable. I probably could have filled up a couple of cups by now. I'll keep this thread updated with what happens from here on out just so if someone else runs into the same problem but I'm confident that's what is going on because it didn't do it before I changed the gas and put the sea foam in it. It did have a little bit of oil from the exhaust, but thats expected. Thanks for your help.

KLDARMY

Cadet

Well got it out yesterday. started it up. ran great for about 100 yards then kicked back out of gear and would not go back in. brought it back took lower back apart. All the gears in the lowers are ate up. Looks like I'll be parting it out. If anyone needs parts for a 1976 sears eska ted williams let me know. Have everything complete. only lower gears messed up. or if someone has lower gears for cheap let me know.

tullydf

Seaman

Did you ever part this out? I would be interested in some parts.

KLDARMY

Cadet

I found and bought the parts I needed to fix it.

M

mrcrabs

My motor shed looks like a Eska rummage sale :facepalm:

tullydf

Seaman

Good for you...welcome to the club (so to speak)! Looking forward to getting mine tip top this Spring. With the help of Mr. Crabs, anything is possible with these.