1976 Johnson 85HP 85EL76G Temp question

dmcneill3

Cadet
When I run my engine on trailor with water ears for maybe 5 minutes at idle and occassional going from idle to run it seems that the engine gets to hot. Seems to be steam coming from everywhere around the engine and engine gets very hot to touch in a short amount of time. There isn't any free standing water. Maybe there was some water sprinkles that shot up from putting engine in gear that got on the engine. But the amount of steam or smoke seems more than I remmeber. I can't say that I have had the engine cover off in the past looking for this but I had some issues with getting the engine started this year so I have been seeing the engine when running more then in the past. Do these engines heat up very fast even at idle (way to hot to touch). These engines are air cooled no radiator. Is there a water pump that pumps water that helps cool these engines.

I have not had it on the lake yet this season I want to make all is good before I take it out. Last year it ran good all season with the esception of hard to start.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have the service manual but does not really talk about this issue.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1976 Johnson 85HP 85EL76G Temp question

Yes, there is a water pump in the lower unit and by the way you are describing it I would say you need a new pump.

dmcneill3

Cadet

Is this hard to get to and replace and expensive?

dmcneill3

Cadet

Does the water pump do anything for the engine as far as cooling or just the gears

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You have to remove the lower unit to replace the water pump.
It provides ALL of the cooling water for the engine, it must work properly or you will have major problems.