1976 johnson 70 hp(help)

kiw0n2

Seaman Apprentice
anybody,<br /><br />This is my problem i spent over 900 dollars already to my local dealership on my boat not knowing to much about boats they pretty much took advantage of me i have a johnson 1976 70 hp motor i took to this Triton dealership to get repairs done the motor would not idle and i had to gun it to get it to go so they looked at it and said my crank shaft needed to be resealed so they did that i got the boat back it ran worst than before<br />so i took it back this time they said it that i had no thermistat and that thecarbs needed to be rebuilt so they did that now i can only start the motor with the warm up handle all the way up and if i put it down to take off the engine dies i dont want to take it back to those guys because as much as i spent with them already my boat should be running great right now but i have a manual all i need is someone to point me in the right direction.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 johnson 70 hp(help)

Also would be good to know what was done so far and the results. If possible include the parts replaced and details of procedures performed.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Help, anyone?" is a useless topic title if you want to catch the attention of someone who knows how to deal with your problem, Kiw0n2.<br /><br />Consider editing it once you are ready to tell us what the problem is (engine model and year, other details asked for above).<br /><br />You will certainly need a Repair Manual if you want to work on the engine yourself.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

kiw0n2

Seaman Apprentice

the engine is a 1976 70hp johnson the carbs were rebuilt and the gearcase resealed and it still doesnt work

D

DJ

kiw0n2,<br /><br />Did they reseal the crankcase (engine) or the gearcase (lower unit)?<br /><br />The gearcase would have little or nothing to do with the way the engine runs.<br /><br />The crankcase, however, has much to do with the way it runs.<br /><br />I think you have to keep dealing with them. You took it to them to get it running right. So far, they have not lived up to their end of the deal.

D

DJ

OK, they're chasing a running problem. Both of the things they did would be justified for the symptoms provided. However, they haven't found it yet.

kiw0n2

Seaman Apprentice

what do you think it might be djohns?

D

DJ

I think there is still an issue with the carbs. As long as the compression is good and even.