1976 Johnson 115hp question

Chachi420

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All:

Well, the 16' 1977 Glassmaster I bought last year survived for a full season! :)

I have a question though regarding the engine (1976 Johnson 115hp). There is a crack on the exhaust housing (Part # 0317764). Will this crack cause problems? I've been out on the lake several times since I first noticed it, and the crack on the left side has gotten quite large, while the one on the right side is smaller.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chachi

Attachments

• DSCF0378.jpg
    DSCF0378.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0379.jpg
    DSCF0379.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1976 Johnson 115hp question

looks to me like the lower unit took a pretty good hit. it can't be good, seeing that where the lower unit attaches, stressing the drive shaft, water tube, etc. i'd either replace it or have it welded by a pro.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Well yes, because two of your gearcase bolts depend on that being there, and because that is where you shift rod passes through on the way to the gearcase. The good news is that the rest of the motor is supprted (we hope) by the fork above that and not by the cracked section.

I think that if you take the lower unit off and take the motor to a welder, it should not be hard to fix.

Why is the next bolt down missing in your first picture?

Attachments

• Mid section.JPG
    Mid section.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 0

Turin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do You sail in salt water a lot? becouse youre engine has lots of oxidating on it.
My engine is from the seventies and the paint doesnt look that bad.

No help but just asking.

Chachi420

Seaman Apprentice

Well yes, because two of your gearcase bolts depend on that being there, and because that is where you shift rod passes through on the way to the gearcase. The good news is that the rest of the motor is supprted (we hope) by the fork above that and not by the cracked section.

I think that if you take the lower unit off and take the motor to a welder, it should not be hard to fix.

Why is the next bolt down missing in your first picture?

I just took a look, and you're right. There is one bolt missing on each side (both are the ones furthest back). Yikes!

Chachi420

Seaman Apprentice

Do You sail in salt water a lot? becouse youre engine has lots of oxidating on it.
My engine is from the seventies and the paint doesnt look that bad.

No help but just asking.
I bought it last year off the NC coast. I'm assuming in was on salt water much of it's life.

I'm not concerned with looks, but I do hope the boat will last for a long time. If I can be sure that the engine will last another 5 years, I might take out the deck and put in a new one. However, I don't want to invest too much time/money into this boat though if the engine may fail sometime soon. It's worked fine over last season, and I used it almost every weekend. I think the deck is pretty waterlogged, but don't know for sure.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It would not matter much where the motor was used, the gearcase got like that from hanging in the water on a boat on a mooring. I've seen them just as bad on the Finger Lakes. Granted, salt water can sure do it more quickly.

You have got to put a plan together to get all of the bolts in place. There are several ways that you could do it, but The least expensive will be to remove the drive yourself and tap the holes for all of the screws. Then take the boat to a good welding shop to repair the break. Depending on where you live, that should not be a very expensive weld if you clean the break and get the gearcase out of the way. Some of the welders use special rods, so ask them what to use to clean up the break area.