1976 Evinrude 70hp Model#70673 - Broken Head off PIN, SHIFT LEVER TO SHIFT ROD

bmac101

Recruit
Hi (first-time post)

Looking for some advice; was looking to replace the water pump and inadvertently took the head off the Pin that connects the Shift Leaver.
1603623066156.png
it is in such an awkward location there is no room to drill out..

1603623260248.png

Question 1) is there any ideas/recommendations/hacks
Question 2) if I remove the lever shift would it fit down 'still connected to the shift rod'?

1603623387041.png

Thank you in advance.

B

alldodge

Staff member
If that's a stainless bolt I wouldn't drill it out, thinks can go bad real quick if it doesn't stay in the center.

If it didn't break off flush, I would remove what ever is needed to get at it. Use some heat to see if it can be broke free. Could be the best method is find a machine shop with a Tig machine and ask them. They will need everything out of the way so they can work

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
If you can get to the shift connector, try to cut the bolt (between the brass connector) then try to spred the connector open enough to get the connector off, or cut the connector itself to get it off then just purchse a new connector & bolt. Might be able to get to it with a small Dremmel tool.

bmac101

Recruit
Thank you for quick reply.
Will take another look. What I’m hearing is, the leaver were the pin sits in needs to come out so the bolt can it be extracted/worked on.