1976 35hp Johnson problems

bidlimit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1976 35hp Johnson that has a bad smoking problem and occasionally misses. I replaced all of the ignition components except for the flywheel (points, condensers, coils, driver coil, wiring, etc.). I also rebuilt the carb with new gaskets and a new float. It'll run, but smokes really, really bad. I took off the carb and adjusted the float but now it doesn't seem to be getting enough fuel. If I put the float back to where it was, what can I do about the smoke? There is also black sludge coming out of the engine which I suspect to be an over rich condition. I know 2 strokes smoke, but this is WAY too much smoke. Thanks. :eek:

G DANE

Commander
Re: 1976 35hp Johnson problems

Hi Bidlimit<br /><br />Well 1796 is a bit older than I am used to --<br /><br />Try to unscrew the fuel pump from block, and replece the two screws on pump to keep it together. Squese the primerbulb firmly. if fuel drips or squirts from pump airhole, you have a leaky diaphrame that feeds upper cylinder through intake. Does both plugs look same colour ?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

"1796" thats a really old motor.Yuk Yuk<br /> The fuel pump diaphram could have a hole in it<br /> causimg gas to get in the cylinder.<br /> The choke may not be opening all the way.<br /> Put the float back to the original setting<br /> flip carb upside down blow in fuel line see if float valve is working.

Walker

Captain

Try turning the mixture screw slowly clockwise while the engine is idling. If it starts sneezing then turn back to the left until it smooths out.

PaulNewmanUK

Recruit

I had exactly the same problem with my 35hp . it would run but the smoke was very bad then it would die. I tried the same things you did but it turned out to be a burnt out electric choke seloniod. try using the manual one if you want to save money