1975 Starcraft Holiday 18 I/O Help

rbtobias2

Recruit
Acquired a 1975 Holiday 18, 140 HP I/O 2 years ago. Was started 2-years ago & then Winterized. Now wanting to get it wet. Having problems with throttle/shift control with the "lock out" knob. Not pulling out to activate starter all the time. Any help with start/shift procedure. I only saw it started before I bought and memory not so good anymore. I do not have owners manual and this is one of many questions I have, but am new here so bear with me.

Thanking you all in advance.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1975 Starcraft Holiday 18 I/O Help

The lock out knob you pull out should have a clip that goes between it and the controll panel. My 1975 probably has the same set up. Look at the knob you pull out to see if there is room for a clip. It was and is a man overboard to stop the boat. If it needs a clip there avilable at a Walmart or Marine supply store and should just be left in place as you turn the motor off with the key. Good luck

rbtobias2

Recruit

Thank you Pugetsound......Now as I said I have many questions. Next one.
1. I will look for clip you mentioned,
2. Appears shift/throttle control is one in the same. When I start boat (Either in driveway or water) does forward (bow) movement shift into gear forward and stern movement shift into reverse?
3. And if above is correct, then how do I throttle up without shifting?
Remenber...I said I was newbe.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

On the controll Yes the lever moves the shifter and the throtle ther should be another beside it that lays flat, That is the warm up lever and advances the throtle out of gear. Do not advance the engine in gear out of the water it can cause some damage.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Puget, he's got an I/O. Probably a Mercruiser. I don't think they have separate warm up levers. I could be wrong though and I have not worked with an older I/O, but the newer Mercruisers I've used have a button in the center (pivot point) of the handle that you push in that allows you to advance the throttle without shifting into forward. Hopefully one of the older I/O owners will chime in.

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

Can?t help with the controls but just in case you don?t know, do not start the engine without a supply of water to the leg. You will toast your water pump impeller.
GLG

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

My old merc 140 I/O has a knob in the center that you put the shift lever in neutral, pull the knob out,now you have throttle with no forward or reverse. You can go ahead and set the choke, back the throttle off back to center and give it just a touch of throttle to start. When ready to go into gear come back to neutral position, engine should be idling good at about 800 rpms. you can shift into forward gear and rev.
If you bypass that switch then you can start the boat in gear.
I also bough a new shift interupter mechanizm and that helped alot to find neutral. I do not have the interupter switch hooked up, but the mechanizm has a spring that brings it into the neutral position nicely. It used to be tricky to get neutral without going into reverse.
In gear in the water it should idle about 650 rpms, adjust your idle mixture screws to fine tune it for your altitude. a 1/8 turn can make a difference on how she idles. Good luck

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

My old merc 140 I/O has a knob in the center that you put the shift lever in neutral, pull the knob out,now you have throttle with no forward or reverse. You can go ahead and set the choke, back the throttle off back to center and give it just a touch of throttle to start. When ready to go into gear come back to neutral position, engine should be idling good at about 800 rpms. you can shift into forward gear and rev.
If you bypass that switch then you can start the boat in gear.
I also bough a new shift interupter mechanizm and that helped alot to find neutral. I do not have the interupter switch hooked up, but the mechanizm has a spring that brings it into the neutral position nicely. It used to be tricky to get neutral without going into reverse.
In gear in the water it should idle about 650 rpms, adjust your idle mixture screws to fine tune it for your altitude. a 1/8 turn can make a difference on how she idles. Good luck
That could be fun to start in gear at a busy dock. Kind of expensive LOL Some MFG just wern't dealing with a full deck.

dozerII

Admiral

My 72 mecruiser 120 has the flat lever on the top of the control for starting and idle up out of gear, so ther must be quite a few different styles. Also make sure the leg is down before you run it, and check your bellows for cracks and tears before you put in the water or you could take on a lot of water.
Glen

rbtobias2

Recruit

Thank you elkhunter338:

That best describes my situation. The only problem I have is that lockout switch (Knob) is very hard to pull out far enough to actively disengage tranny & enable start sequence. I looked around behind side board to throttle/shift mechanism backside & observed that the knob shaft has a cantilever bracket from shaft that contacts a button (switch) that activates starter. Appears to have some play and does not positively contacts the switch botton consistantly. Perhaps this control is plain wore out. A detail diagram of this control would help but I have no idea where to obtain one. I thought about cutting the control out with jig saw...repair?...then re-install like a piece of drywall repair. I plan to re-cover with new vinyl eventually. Sorry for the long reply.
Question:
1. Where can I get a shift interupter mechanism?
2. How can I bypass switch...what wires??
3. If I decide to keep current configuration where can I get new/used control like this one?

Sidebar to Pugetsound: I agree with starting boat in gear dockdside....I will have wife video for all amusement :)

Again...Thanks to all