1975 Merc 115hp Throttle cables

Rip n Lips

Seaman Apprentice
I got my boat out this weekend for the 1st time in about 6 months. I didn't run it real hard because I noticed that when I shift into gear I have to push the control almost all the way down to get power an it was kinda sluggish. I don't really know how to explain it, but there is only about 1 inch of room where my power comes from. I was thinking that the throttle cables to my control box are stretched out? Can this happen? If so is there an adjustment or procedure to shorten or tighten the cables? Any other explanations?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Merc 115hp Throttle cables

There is no adjustment in the control. Check the cable as follows. Remove the wrap cowl, put the motor in forward and push the throttle up until it stops(motor not running). Now examine the carb throttle plates. They should be almost completely open. If so, the cable's adjustment is fine. If not, you should investigate further.

Rip n Lips

Seaman Apprentice

As I took off the cowling I noted a sticker that reads "IMPORTANT-Use only recommended Quicksilver Tachometer with this ignition system."

Could the new Faria tach that I just put in be causing it to run sluggish?

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 74 1500 and asked the same question about the tach. From the guys here they say that aftermarket is perfectly fine as long as it is compatible.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Ripp, You asked about control cables, not the tach. You need to move the brown wire(not the one connected to the dissy) from the switchbox to the rectifier, for that tach to work properly. This modification may have already been done, so check it out first.