1975 Johnson 50 no power (coil//Sparkplug)

Billansor

Cadet
Hi<br />Just bought the boat and motor <br />15 foot larson 1969 model<br />1975 Johnson 50 horse model #50ESL75B <br />seems to start, seems to idle but has no power, brought back to shore and looked at both plugs. The one plug seems normal the other looked cruddy. They are both new. Disconnected the plugs and turned engine over. The normal looking plug had nice spark. The abnormal cruddy looking plug had little or weird spark. Any ideas on this. Is the coil bad and anything else going on that I should be aware of<br />Thanks<br />Bill

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Johnson 50 no power (coil//Sparkplug)

Hi Bill and welcome to iboats. Your post is in the wrong forum. You want Johnson/Evinrude forum. I'll move your post there for you.<br /><br />Mod2

fireman57

Captain

Welcome Billansor to iboats. This is the greatest boat repair forum on the web. There are some real professionals here and fantastic moderators. I think that you are correct in checking your coils. Sounds like you are running on one cylinder to me. If you change the bad coil you should be fine.

Billansor

Cadet

Thankyou to Moderator 2 for bailing an ignorant person without a lifejacket out. It is appreciated and will continue to learn. <br />Thankyou<br />Bill<br /><br />Also to Fireman57 <br />I have gotten replacement coils and will be installing them. Will let you know how it works.<br />Again Thankyou also and I agree; This has been helpful and the people knowledgable.<br />Bill

Walker

Captain

I'd overhaul the carbs and see if that helps. Make sure you have fresh fuel too.