1975 johnson 25hp keeps trashing primary

mdcwells

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1975 johnson outboard with electric start. I got hosed on an ebay deal and learned a lot (Don't buy from Rogers Marine in Wisconsin) The motor is electric start but did not have the boat side cable. Being an electronic tech I had no problem grabbing a clymers and wiring a new ignition switch. I gutted the wiring on the motor side and run new wiring. It seems to work real well for long periods of time but than I lose my coil under the flywheel. Twice now it has blown the coil. I am going to add an in line fuse from my key switch 12V to try and curb the problem. I cannot find any shorts or grounds in the system. What am I missing?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1975 johnson 25hp keeps trashing primary

make sure you are not getting a cross feed of 12 volts, on the kill wires. 12 volts directly to a coil will fry in a minute. voice of experience. crossed a wire under the dash.
boatmotor0012.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have a 1975 johnson outboard with electric start. I got hosed on an ebay deal and learned a lot (Don't buy from Rogers Marine in Wisconsin) The motor is electric start but did not have the boat side cable. Being an electronic tech I had no problem grabbing a clymers and wiring a new ignition switch. I gutted the wiring on the motor side and run new wiring. It seems to work real well for long periods of time but than I lose my coil under the flywheel. Twice now it has blown the coil. I am going to add an in line fuse from my key switch 12V to try and curb the problem. I cannot find any shorts or grounds in the system. What am I missing?

What 12 volts?? It is not supposed to be seeing any external voltage. The primary coil generates it's own electricity as the flywheel magnets pass by it. If you are feeding it 12V, that is the problem.

daselbee

Commander

What you are missing is that the ignition needs no external 12v to operate. The battery is for the starter only.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Both coils are separate magneto ignitions, one for each cyl. Simply ground the points wire to kill the ignition, which involves TWO seperate ground switches. A double-pole may work.

There is NO charge coil for a battery charging system. Electric start was an optional add-on, NO battery charging available.

mdcwells

Seaman Apprentice

The key switch is a sea dog brand. I have 12 volts hooked to the key switch for the "push to choke". The Clymers shows that one side of the solenoid gets 12 volts when the key switch is "on", before you actually crank. I could be mistaken on this. Also I'm pretty sure this motor has a stator plate. Isn't that charge the battery a bit?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Is there a 'third' coil under the flywheel?

Each set of points has a separate coil , a third coil is required for battery charging.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

This is getting out of hand. The 1975 25hp has the "Low Tension" magneto. It has a single primary coil under the flywheel with two sets of points and two condensers. The primary coil generates electricity for both cylinders. The spark coils are mounted externally, on the cylinder head. It is the primary coil burning up that we are trying to solve.

Now, 12V is taken off one side of the starter solenoid, from the post where the battery cable goes, and goes to the "B" terminal on the ignition switch. That provides power for the choke and any accessories such as a tachometer. The Choke connects to the "C" terminal and is activated when the key is pushed. The magneto connects to the two "M" terminals, or in some cases they are marked "M" & "G". Those two M terminals should never see 12V. "S" terminal activates the starter solenoid and is activated only when the key is turned to start position. The Acc is for accessories such as the tach and has 12V when the key is turned on.

The key switch connects the two "M" terminals together when the key is turned off. That shorts out the points and kills the igniton, stopping the motor.

There is no alternator or battery charging on that model.

Now that everybody has a crash course in Low Tension Magnetos 101, lets try to figure this thing out.

When the problem was first presented to us, everybody immediatly assumed that 12V was being applied to the coils. That was a reasonable assumption, because it happens so often from people using the wrong switch or wiring it incorrectly.

I am trying to keep mdcwells from going down the wrong path by checking everything under the sun. All that needs to be done is put a voltmeter on the M terminals, one at a time and ground. Note that there is no ground wire provided, unless there is one for a tach--I'm not sure about that. With the key on and/or the choke pushed, there should be no voltage at the M terminals. There will be pulses if you crank the motor, and I'm not sure what the voltage will be.

OK, if you are not getting 12V at the M terminals, we guessed wrong and that is probably not the cause of your coil problem.

HOWEVER, there is another possibility. If somebody was installing an accessory and was looking for a ground wire, and saw that the M trminals were grounded through the black wire, and said AHA!, here's a ground, and used that to ground their accessory---AHA again--he just applied 12V to the ignition. Actually 12V, dropped by the result of the resistance of the accessory, but that's tech talk.

If none of this proves to be the problem, you got me stumped and I don't know why you are melting coils.

Sorry about the long post, but this needed to be cleared up.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are only two places on that engine that should see +12 volts. One is the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid and ONLY when the key is in the START position. That connection originates at the "S" terminal on the ignition switch. "B" on the ignition switch should have +12 volts on it from the battery. The other is the electric choke which should see +12 volts when the key is ON (RUN) or START and the key is pushed in for the CHOKE function. That connection also originates at the ignition switch ("C" terminal). The next thing you need to make sure of is that you have an ignition switch for an OUTBOARD, not an I/O (auto engine). The ignition system is a "magneto style" which is self energizing and does not require, nor should it have +12 volts applied anywhere in the system. It therefore shorts the magneto to ground (switch closes when OFF) to kill the engine. An I/O engine needs a switch that is OPEN to kill the battery ignition system and CLOSED to run the engine. If the engine has a charging system it would have a rectifier and a separate charge coil. Lastly, do not blame a dealer for something you screwed up.

jethro66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hope this can help its for a evinrude 75...

Attachments

• SSPX0054.jpg
    SSPX0054.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
  • SSPX0053 - Copy.jpg
    SSPX0053 - Copy.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0