1975 Johnson 115 Kill switch test

tjatech

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm currently troubleshooting no-spark on all 4 cylinders of my 1975 Johnson 115. First, I tested resistance between the spark plug wires and the block...got good results on two (2 kOhms) and rather high results (6 Mohms) on the other two. However, since there is no spark to any cylinder, I think I can overlook this for now.

The next step will be pulling the flywheel to check the points and such. However, before I do that, I want to check my kill switch circuit.

My question: Can the kill circuit be checked simply by removing the black and yellow lead going into the power pack? Thanks in advance

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1975 Johnson 115 Kill switch test

Forget pulling the flywheel for now ... there are no points, just a stator and timer base under there.

Why don't you try the CDI Electronics website for a thorough and logical troubleshooting guide?

tjatech

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found a CDI troubleshooting guide and it has been VERY helpful so far.

I began working my way through the troubleshooting guide and have gotten to the point where I need to check various connections in the powerpack for DVA voltages. Based on these voltages, I should be able to determine if my problem is in the stator, power pack or timer base.

I know that a standard multimeter cannot find DVA voltages due to the rapid spikes created. Is there any other way to test these components, or will I need to pull my boat down to a mechanic?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

It would probably be cheaper to buy a meter, you will be able to use it for trouble shooting in the future.