1975 70 evinrude oil leak

Dino nz

Recruit
my evinrude has got a leak from behind the propella could it just be sludge from the 2 stroke or is it more likely to be a seal from behind the prop buggered ???? thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 70 evinrude oil leak

Hi Dino<br /><br />What color is the "sludge"? If it's black and smells like exhaust, it's probably coming from the engine. If it looks like gear lube, you need to check the lower unit for water. Do you check the lowe unit often?

Dino nz

Recruit

hi OBJ thanks for that the oil is thick and smells like exhaust, you said it is coming from the engine ??is that caused by a popped gasket or seal or is it just a gunk build up in the exhaust when i took it out i had to run it for about half an hour slow waiting to get on the slip way. i have just purchased this boat so havent got the manual yet. thanks again cheers dino

jimtodd72

Seaman

If the gunk you see coming out is a milky brownish color, you probaly have a lower unit seal leaking gear lube and ou need to have it checked out and fixed before running the engine again. If it is black, it is more than likely unburned gas/oil crud coming out in the exhaust. If this is the case, a little is fairly normal in an older two stroke but you can probably adjust the mixure at the carbs to get the engine to run a little less "rich" (and you will get better economy out of it). Good luck with it and keep us posted.<br /><br />Jim

Dino nz

Recruit

thanks very much ill take the old girl out on sunday and will give you a email to tell you how i got on i think its 2 stroke sludge too now i have looked properly . thanks again ill email you some snapper ,cod and gurnard do you want it filleted lol cheers dino