1975 50 hp Johnson trim tabs and other ?'s

Billansor

Cadet
Hi<br />We had made some repairs to this unit and had to take the trim tabs off to run in a bucket of water. This motor is on a 1969 Larson fiberglass 16 ft boat. We took the boat out sans the trim tabs and the boat ran but I was not sure if we were getting the most out of this. Several questions;<br /><br />#1 Should this motor push this boat pretty good? As in planning out and good speed?<br /><br />#2 Would the absence of the trim tabs make a difference in speed and performance?<br /><br />#3 Where could I go to find out the maximum motor size for this boat?<br /><br />#4 If I could get another 1975 50 hp Johnson, would it be complete idiocy to put both motors on this boat?<br /> :D <br />Thanks<br />Bill

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1975 50 hp Johnson trim tabs and other ?'s

1. Yes<br />2. Yes<br />3. There may be a plate on the transom or somewhere giving the max hp for the boat. If not play around with the search at the top of this page as that has come up quite a few times.<br />4. Yes but it might be fun to give it a try - I doubt that the hull is rated for 100 hp though.

Billansor

Cadet
Re: 1975 50 hp Johnson trim tabs and other ?'s

Thankyou for the reply<br />I saw a Larson like this one that had an old Merc 115 on it. I do not see any plate on this boat and had looked for one. <br />Anyway.. What happens to the hull, does it fall apart when too much power is pushing? The search feature showed nothing. <br />Again<br />Thanks<br />Bill