1975 "200" 20 hp cooling

logan44

Cadet
I searched for 9 pages and couldnt find it, so I will ask.

Where should water be coming out? I am a newb to outboards and I dont know where to look. I figured it was better to ask than to risk frying or warping something because it got hot.. :)

Thanks guys!

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1975 "200" 20 hp cooling

Your 20 hp should have a rubber hose coming off the powerhead, somewhere towards the rear, going to a telltale fitting in the lower cowling. Typically on the Stbd (right hand) side of the motor.

If nothing comes out, it may be plugged. A puff of compressed air up the telltale may be all that's necessary to clear it out. Or a thin wire if you have no access to air.

Failing that, pull the hose off the fitting screwed into the powerhead and flush it out.

Another place where water will exit (but only when the motor is submerged in water to its normal operating level) is from the exhaust relief ports. Water is discharged out of the block, down the exhaust tower (aka center section or 'mid'), and exhaust pressure will carry some of the water, in a spray, out the square relief ports at the back of the motor, underneath the lower cowling.

You won't see much, if any, spray coming out the relief ports when running the motor on a flusher, since there is no backpressure to force the water out. In that case, most of the water will just go down and out the center of the prop. BTW if you feel that water stream coming out of the prop, it should be noticeably warmer than the water going in the motor.

A good way to check for water circulation thru the powerhead, in the absence of a telltale, is to feel the exhaust cover. It'll get hot real quick if there's no water running thru it. The exhaust cover should stay fairly cool while the rest of the block may be a bit warmer.

If the exhaust manifold cover is hot, shut 'er down right away and check the impeller. If you don't know when it was last replaced, it's definitely due for a new one!

The only caveat with changing out the impeller is to make sure the shifter is in Fwd or Neutral and don't move the shift handle or the shift shaft in the lower unit, with the lower unit dropped down. The most common mistake made when working on these is to get the shifting mechanisms out of synch with each other, and usually it'll fail in Fwd gear. Just take a look at all the postings (day in and day out) about not shifting right after an impeller job and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Nothing to be scared of, though, a pretty basic job that can be done with common hand tools.

Anyway, that probably is a lot more info than you were looking for, but better a cool Merc than a burnt-up one!!!

HTH & Happy Boating.........ed

logan44

Cadet

Ed that was awesome! It was exactly what I was looking for!

So now can you guys point me to the new impeller part numbers or website? And maybe a quick run down on how to change it? I dont have a service manual and 30 bucks is a tad steep for me.. I'm pretty good with working on my own stuff I just need some instructions!

Thanks again,
Logan

emckelvy

Commander

www.boats.net and www.crowleymarine.com both have parts diagrams online, sorted by serial number. Just jot down your ser. # and find the corresponding diagram.

Your motor is quite simple, not a lot of nuts/bolts holding the lower unit on. Check the parts breakdown and you'll see what there is for yours.

When you pull the lower unit down, just remember to not move shifter or shift shaft and you'll have no trouble reinstalling the L/U. Also be sure to disconnect the plug wires!

If I recall your shift shaft has a flat spot on it, so it can only go back one way. If that's the case, it'll be even harder to mess up.

Check the motor FAQ for lotsa info on maintenance and also use the Search feature 'cause you'll find all kinds of postings on changing impellers etc.

HTH...........ed

logan44

Cadet

Well I ordered the water pump kit and a manual. Better safe than sorry right!!?

Is there anything I should look for when I jump into this project?