1974 Sea Ray 24' - Any known Problems?

Martin Leaney

Seaman
Hi All - I am looking at a Sea Ray 24 cabin cruiser with a 350 chevy Mercruiser. <br /><br />It was/is a Seattle boat and the fellow who owned it became ill 4 years ago and died this past December. For the past 4 years it has sat under a tree without a cover. I am buying it from a guy who bought it in an auction so I don't know much about it's history.<br /><br />The only apparent problem is cracks in the water jacket manifolds and being not too clean after sitting so long.<br /><br />Is there any know issues with Sea-Rays of that vintage that I should inspect for? It will cost me a couple of thousand to buy it and get it home (Southern BC Canada).<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />PS: Is there any good internet or mail order companies in Canada to buy parts from? Is it worth buying used parts?

Martin Leaney

Seaman
Re: 1974 Sea Ray 24' - Any known Problems?

Does this mean nobody knows of troubles with Sea Rays of the early 70's era? Or nobody here is/was stupid enough to own one?<br /><br />(I was concerned with the balsa wood core issue after reading an article by an overly opinionated surveyor)<br /><br />over... <br /><br /> ;)

txrdb

Cadet

I have a 1976 Sea Ray SVO195 in almost perfect shape. I don't have any problems with the boat, but I keep up with maintenance. Mine has never seen salt water, which makes a huge difference with the condition of the motor, outdrive, etc. Check out the water jackets and the outdrive for excess corrosion. If you have to replace the engine / outdrive, it will cost you $$$. The old Sea Ray hulls are very sturdy, much more so than the new ones. The boats are like tanks and ride very well in the water. As far as parts for the boat (not the mechanicals), Sea Ray no longer offers anything, however, most things can be purchased from aftermarket suppliers, although it may not match the original (lights, switches, etc.)Good luck with your boat...Rich

Martin Leaney

Seaman

Hey thanks for the info. I am buying it basically as a hull and anything that works on it is a bonus. I'm glad to hear that older Sea Rays are 'built like tanks'.<br /><br />Luckily I have some good friends that are knowledgable in boats, mechanical and cabinetry work so we'll bring it in the shop and start to work - we have a good 3 months before boating season starts up here!

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Capt Muddy, I just finished this year a 1974 SeaRay SRV 240, I practically started from bare hull. I replaced everything, including floors and fuel tanks. It was a lot of work, but I used many items I sell, some purchased from aftermarket, some from Ebay, etc.<br /><br />It is amazing how much little it did cost me, probably less than what you paid for yours (if you don't count labor cost). You can find many parts online. I would get the most important things new (wiring, tanks, etc.) then many accessories you can buy used. Motor might need a mechanic to "ceritfy it" same for outdrive.<br /><br />At the end you will get a heck of a nice boat, and they don't build them like they used to, they are SOLID hulls.

magster65

Commander

I just sold my 1983 22.5 Sea Ray on my quest to cure the 4 foot-itis. It was like new. In a slightly older model like yours I would have a close look around the transom, engine bulkhead, around all the through-hull holes and check the floor integrity. If it's been run really hard the floors will show it. These aren't problem areas, just things I'd check after owning one and looking at others. I agree with these guys, the Sea Rays perform very well and are one of the best deals in the water. They aren't terribly heavy boats (like a tank) but they are strong and have a great hull design. I think that 24' hull they kept the same through 4 different style changes (15 years +/-). Great boat, you'll love it.<br />
image.jpg

Martin Leaney

Seaman

Glad to hear I'm not going to put money into something that wasn't a good place to start. I am heading out to pick it up this weekend and let you know how I'm doing as the project starts and continues.<br /><br />Hey valv - do you have any pics of your finished product? <br />And magster65 that is sweet boat you just sold - what are you buying next?

magster65

Commander

Cool. Good luck with it! For us, a growing family means a bigger boat. We're trying to close the deal on a 26' Tollycraft.<br />
Tolly%20Brochure%20pic.%20small.jpg

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

not a bad idea to be safe and base any deal on a<br />clean professional survey, even if u have to pay 4 it.<br />a 30 yr old boat... sitting uncovered under a tree<br />for 4 yrs.???

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to take pics, but now boat it's sitting in yard with a big cover on it, it's wintertime here in MN again...<br /><br />I agree with mellowyellow, be careful, especially if you don't plan major rebuilding. Fiberglass doesn't get "spoiled" with time, it's wood on floors, cabinets, etc. that gets rotten.<br />The hulls were thicker up to 1976 on all SeaRays, then they reduced thickness. We mean tanks since they are very robust, not excessively heavy.<br /><br />Only draw back I have, if mine had dual engine I would have been happier, mainly for safety, one doesn't work, second can help getting home, I will install a kicker on mine (or at least bring a smaller OB along).

Martin Leaney

Seaman

Boatless In Seattle!<br /><br />I am back in Calgary after a round trip to Seattle. I went with a friend who has a GMC with the DuraMax Diesel to tow the 'fixer upper' back. We also picked up a friend in Vancouver who is very knowledgable about boats and their problems.<br /><br />The verdict: No '74 Sea Ray in my shop.<br /><br />The problems were many including a home made trailer which was under-sized and had flex problems. We doubt the trailer could have made the trip back!<br /> Plus: engine did not have 'cracks' in the the water manifolds but rusted through holes, dry rotted seats and engine cover, 8'' of water down below, dash taken apart, hand rails broken etc.<br /><br />I was prepared to get a tandem trailer and a decent hull for my money but this one did not have any redeeming qualities. A money pit.<br /><br />I am still interested in finding something worthy of a fix up effort. Apparently it will just take some time and patience.<br /><br />Thanks for the input.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

most boats start as good boats, but left neglected<br />can fall apart relatively fast, especially being<br />out in the elements. smart to take some knowlegable<br />buds along. year of mfg. is not as important as<br />the care it's been givin IMHO.<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

magster65

Commander

Where are you? There's one near here (project).