1974 mercury1150 tilt trim convert to new style?

tcmalan

Recruit
ok i have a 1974 mercury 1150 on a 1982 champion bass boat. I wolud like to put electric tilt trim on it , currently it is set up as manual, the guy i bought the boat from gave me a tilt trim off a newer style setup 83 model i think he said , it has the tilt trim control on the throttle , but i am missing the siliniods and the apropriate swivel bracket . My ? is can i buy a newer style swivel bracket off like a 83 motor and bolt it up to my 1974 motor?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 mercury1150 tilt trim convert to new style?

You will likely need to get your hands on a new triple clamp and transom bracket. Why not post a picture of what you have and we can maybe figure it out.

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

You will likely need to get your hands on a new triple clamp and transom bracket. Why not post a picture of what you have and we can maybe figure it out.
Likely, there are some on Ebay, but some folks want a lot of green for those.

tcmalan

Recruit

Likely, there are some on Ebay, but some folks want a lot of green for those.

will the old motor have the same bolt pattern to fit the newer style bracket?

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't say with absolute certainty, but I can tell you this much:
There are several (not sure how many) sizes of swivel mounts merc's use and they usually cover a range of HP rated engines, like 80HP-140HP for example. I would think, though I'd want to confirm this with part numbers, that a "newer style" PT&T swivel mount for most engines within that approximate range will fit yours despite the age difference, because I don't think the mounting system overall has changed much if any.

Again, you really need to verify this first before searching for one, though.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Merc standardized the bolt pattern, after your motor was made. So if you find a Triple Clamp/PTT close to your year and it will fit, the bolt pattern could be the same. If you get a newer Triple Clamp/PTT, the bolt pattern will have been standardized, and will not match your boat. Changing bolt patterns is not real hard....

tcmalan

Recruit

Merc standardized the bolt pattern, after your motor was made. So if you find a Triple Clamp/PTT close to your year and it will fit, the bolt pattern could be the same. If you get a newer Triple Clamp/PTT, the bolt pattern will have been standardized, and will not match your boat. Changing bolt patterns is not real hard....

my year had the two cylinders on the side and the pump in the boat, the setup i want to put on it is the all in one unit with the one big tilt and two smaller trims 80s sttyle, id like to be able to retrofit the newer style tilt trim to the older style motor

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

my year had the two cylinders on the side and the pump in the boat, the setup i want to put on it is the all in one unit with the one big tilt and two smaller trims 80s sttyle, id like to be able to retrofit the newer style tilt trim to the older style motor

So then according to Chris you will have to mod the bolt patterns.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Find a 1983-1988 midsection with 3 ram trim for a inline (75-115hp) and swap powerhead and lower unit.You can use existing wiring for activation of trim solenoids...