1974 Mercury 85 HP (with 20 hours on engine)

banknote

Recruit
I have a 1974 85 HP mercury that I rarely used and preped the motor for long term storage - anyrate,<br />the wiring in the engine from the connector plug inward (ie. to the solenoid, switchbox, and rectifier all just <br />dried out and cracked (amazing just like old house wiring from the 50's and this engine was stored - you could eat off the engine - even smells new)<br /> - since this is a factory sealed wiring harness with connector assy, does anyone have <br />this part available - the Mercury number is 52771 <br /><br />Also, FWIW, I noted several listings discussing engines running fine then bogging or just quitting when pulling loads <br />my 1974 did this early on (three weeks old) and the dealer never found the cause - years later it died out of warranty as one would<br />expect and I found that the problem was the distributor pickup as one dealer parts person told me Mercury <br />had a bad run on those parts - replaced it and no problems afterward.<br /><br />Any info is appreciated.<br /><br />richard schmitter<br /><br />banknote@sbcglobal.net

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: 1974 Mercury 85 HP (with 20 hours on engine)

hi Richard,<br />try posting this in the "outboard Questions"<br />forum, I'm sure there will be a lot of people<br />there that can help.<br />ps. good info on the distributor!<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

banknote

Recruit

Thanks for the info - I see you are from Rochester, NY - the wife is from there and ...<br />I bought the 1974 85 HP Mercury from Honeoye Marine as I was living in Rochester at the time - small world - have a good one and thanks for the response.<br /><br />richard schmitter

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

and getting smaller every day! I have a '70<br />merc 1150 myself.<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.