1974 Johnson 115HP

Bryant Davis

Cadet
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1974 Johnson 115. Can someone tell me anything about this motor? Good or bad, any known problems?<br /><br />The guy tells me this isn't an electronic shift. Isn't this the year that it should be? I have heard horror stories about the elec. shift motors. <br /><br />Any opinions?<br /><br />Thanks!

D

DJ

Re: 1974 Johnson 115HP

That engine is a "crossflow" V-4. One of the most durable engines ever built. They're a bit thirsty, but pull like a freight train and will run forever, with proper care.<br /><br />It does NOT have the electric shift. It is the second year for the "Powershift II". The PS II was the first hydromechanical shift units built by OMC. Again, pretty much bulletproof, if cared for.<br /><br />If I bought it, I would do this.<br /><br />1. Change the L/U fluid and replace the fill/drain plug screw seals. Use OMC Hi Vis fluid.<br /><br />2. Change the spark plugs-use CHAMPION Only. L77JC4-I believe.<br /><br />3. Change the water pump, replace the entire kit.<br /><br />4. Decarb the engine. (see decarb in FAQ's)<br /><br />5. Change the thermostats and by pass valves (cooling system).<br /><br />6. I would rebuild the carbs using OMC kits.<br /><br />By the way, check the compression before you buy it. All four cylinders should be within 5-10 psi of each other.<br /><br />The engine should be propped to run at 5500 rpm (wide open throttle), or slightly over, with a LIGHT load in the boat.

spiderjohn

Cadet

I have a 76 85HP which from my understanding is basically the same block. Last year I ran it too hot and had to rebuild it. We replaced the pistons, carbs, and exhaust with 115 parts. From what we could tell it had never been rebuilt before I got my hands on it. The fact it lasted that long without any major maintenance should say alot. Since the rebuild it has been running like a champ! I have a 1975 Century run-about that ways a ton and it pushes it around 36mph WOT at 5500 RPMs.

Bmw M3 Guy

Recruit

Hey guys. I also just purchased a 1974 Evinrude outboard 16.5'' boat. It has been reliable as hell but after cleaning the boat, I noticed a small leak which appeared to be leaking between the lower unit final drive and the prop. I took the prop off and did not notice anything. There is a small puddle under the lower unit. I took the lower unit bolt out near the bottom fin and let it leak out. There was less then 1/8 quart of final gear oil.

My question is how much oil is supposed to be in the l/u?

May it be time to replace the gasket also?

Thank you,

Justin

iwombat

Captain

Honestly, I'd leave the t-stat alone on that model. It's got a vernatherm and not a t-stat, they rarely go bad and the whole varnatherm housing for those models is a major pain to deal with. Expect broken fasteners and, well, mayhem. I WOULD, however retrofit a tell-tale w/o hesitation. See my FAQ on that.

Bmw M3 Guy

Recruit

Honestly, I'd leave the t-stat alone on that model. It's got a vernatherm and not a t-stat, they rarely go bad and the whole varnatherm housing for those models is a major pain to deal with. Expect broken fasteners and, well, mayhem. I WOULD, however retrofit a tell-tale w/o hesitation. See my FAQ on that.

Can you P.M. me the link? Also, I just started a new thread in regards to the problem. Thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Note to spiderjohn: there is much that is the same on the 85HP and 115HP from 73-76, but the block is not among them.