1974 Johnson 115 tilt/run lever

tjatech

Seaman Apprentice
I just rebuilt the power tilt/trim system on my 1974 Johnson 115. The tilt system is now working well, but when I tilt it all the way down the tilt lock (that is actuated by the tilt/run lever) engages. Once this engages it is difficult to raise the engine back up...I have to run the tilt until the motor finally pops out of the tilt lock.

My first thought was to just place the tilt/run lever into the tilt position and leave it there since the power trim will hold it down. However the tilt/trim mechanism prevents the lever from being moved out of the run position.

Is there anybody familiar with his system who knows how it is suppose to work?

Thanks in advance!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 Johnson 115 tilt/run lever

????? need to ask , is this a tilt only unit or trim and tilt ?---------Are there 2 cylinders external to the mid section ?

tjatech

Seaman Apprentice

Tilt and Trim unit - 2 cylinders external to the mid section.

I'm pretty sure the tilt "lock" that engages is for units that only have tilt, as they would need it to hold the engine in place. I just can't figure out how to get it not to engage since mine has trim as well..

Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

That year, there was no "tilt" system for that size engine. It was likely made with a manual tilt mechanism. That year the tilt/trim system was available as an accessory and many were dealer-installed. It's possible that someone retrofitted the tilt/trim system to (manual) non-trim engine. Once you have the tilt/trim system, you really don't need any of that manual lock mechanism. I'd remove it. If you check a 76 135 parts list, you will see these parts are coded for manual trim engines only (such as the shock absorber and the locking lever.)

tjatech

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the information! That makes sense. I think I'll remove the springs from the manual engage lever and toss them in my boat. That way it will disable the manual lock but I'll have them in case I have an issue with the trim system in the future.

Thanks for the help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Emds is correct............