1974 Evinrude idles great, but quits running when put in gear

GLENN66

Recruit
I took my 1974 70 hp evinrude out to the lake today, after a 2 year rest. I put new plugs, wires and a new fuel tank with lines and primer bulb, because it had set up for so long.<br />It ran great for about 3 minutes, then it slowed down and died. It would start right back up and idled fine, and rev up, but when you put it in gear it would die again. I tried pumping the fuel primer with the motor idleing, to see if this would make a difference.<br />This did not help, but I noticed the primer bulb was very hard (harder than normal) and harder than when I first started it up. I don't recall a primer ever building pressure like this one did. It will start and run fine, until it is put in gear.

tezzietron

Cadet
Re: 1974 Evinrude idles great, but quits running when put in gear

Replace the fuel filter before muckingn around with anything else.....<br /><br />it that doesn't do it you'll probably need to rebuild the carbs...two years is a long time for an outboard not to run

GLENN66

Recruit

REMOVED FUEL LINES FROM CARBS AND CRANKED THE MOTOR OVER. I HAD PLENTY OF FUEL COMING TO THE CARBS. REMOVED THE CARBS AND DISASSEMBLED. THEY LOOK LIKE NEW, NO VARNISH OR TRASH OF ANY KIND.<br />I WILL CLEAN AND REASSEMBLE AND TRY AGAIN.<br />DO YOU THINK THIS COULD BE THE POWER PACK?

tezzietron

Cadet

Glenn<br /><br />I'm no expert, but I had the same problem this spring with a 90HP Johnson - at low speed fuel flow was great through the filter, but as soon as you gave it gas it would die. Turned out there was a piece inside the filter (check valve ?) that had broken loose and was sliding back and forth inside - at higher speeds it slid forward and choked off the fuel. Suprised the mechanics at the local marina - they never saw it before.<br /><br />Other thing you may check is the fuel pump - rule everything out with fuel before you start looking at electrical -

phatmanmike

Captain

thats not the powerpack. <br /><br />its 99% of the time dirty slow speed jets in the carbs. remove them, take them apart and let them soak in some carb solution such as that from gunk. replace your fuel pumps diaphram. just cause you saw" plenty " of fuel while cranking, thats has nothing to do with the motor in the water under a load trying to accelerate

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

after soaking blow out with compressed air, and put back together with a rebuild kit. don't half a$$ it. than do a linc & sinc. you can adjust your low speed idle screws on muffs to get it running and then have to fine tune the on the water, as muffs do not provide backpressure on the exhaust, causing it to die.

GLENN66

Recruit

I CLEANED THE CARDS, EVEN THOUGH THEY LOOKED CLEAN, AND REASSEMBLED THEM.<br />TOOK THE BOAT TO THE LAKE TODAY TO TRY IT.<br />I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS EVER GOING TO GET UP ON PLANE, BUT WHEN IT DID, IT RAN GREAT.<br /><br />THANKS GUYS.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

watch your water pump. after 2 years the impeller gets hard, and fails or falls apart, send carp into the cooling passages.