1974 Evinrude 85HP V4 shifting noise

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my 1974 V4 Evinrude 85HP is working well now except when shifting into either forward or reverse it makes noises until fully engaged. it goes "gala gala klunk" then everything is smooth. it actuall shakes a bit when it "klunks" then all is well. fluid old or hardware problem? thanks.

JasonB

Lieutenant
Re: 1974 Evinrude 85HP V4 shifting noise

I would change the fluid as these motors have an oil pump that helps the shift. My 76 cleared up some noise this way when I first got it.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

donot ease the shifter in gear . push in gear quick.

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys,<br /><br />it's docked at the marina now so I'll have to haul it out and take a closer look at the fluid condition.<br /><br />yeh, I've read some where that it should be shifted briskly. I'm not aware of my shifting habbits so I'll check on that too.<br /><br />will try to post back on results, hopefully within a couple weeks.

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this old post found a new home, yehhh ;) <br /><br />ok, i remember the last time i worked on the prop that i only tightened the prop nut hand tight and the holes didn't line up so i actually backed it off to line up the hole so i could get the cotter pin in. this done 'cause at the time i didn't have a wrench with me. come to think of it the previous owner did the samething so i just took the prop off without a wrench.<br /><br />this time i tightened down the prop with a wrench so it's nice and tight against the thrust washer or what ever and now the "klunck" and the initial shake is gone. itt still goes "gala gala" for just an instant but i'm glad that annoying klunck is gone.<br /><br />just wanted to post back on what's going on. hope this helps anyone.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Thanks for bring us up to speed on what the fix was, Jeepster. Wish everybody would do that. ;) <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the prop was so loose on the shaft that i could actually move it back and forth on the shaft. my guess is that as soon as it goes in gear, with idle speed around 500 rpm, the prop spins up instantly and hits hard enough to cause that "klunk"<br /><br />Hooty,<br />thanks for the encouragement. i think some folks asks questions then either got the problem fixed and forgot to post back or, worst case senario, they just give up and sell their rig.