1974 Evinrude 85HP power pack install

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, my first post,<br /><br />I've searched these forums every day for the past 2 weeks and I think I've narrowed it down to the darn power pack. Tried squirting premix and using a fresh battery the thing won't fire.<br /><br />Pulled all four plug leads and removed the rubber boots and held the leads .5" from the block and none sparks.<br /><br />Alrighty then, I ordered a power pack from Seiler's and when I get it, what precautions should I take? I have the crappy OMC service manual and it doesn't specifically say how to replace the power pack and I couldn't find any posts regarding the actual wrenching/replacing of the power pack.<br /><br />In the OMC manual, it calls for OMC liquid neoprene, what the heck is that? Should I need to disconnect the battery when I do this? Any other to watch out for?<br /><br />Thanks all. :p

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1974 Evinrude 85HP power pack install

just guessing here about the neoprene ... maybe someone else will know, but that sounds like something called liquid 'lectrical tape, marine stores have it<br /><br />I like the Clymer manuals, go to a store and check them out, Seloc is good too, see which one does a better job explaining the process<br /><br />good luck!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Disconnect the neg (-) battery cable before replacing the powerpack. The liquid neoprene (liquid elec. tape) goes on the screw heads after tightening. Prevents corrosion.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

ZJ..... Before you replace that powerpack, test the electrical circuit (harness/switch) as follows.<br /><br />Rig up some kind of spark tester whereas you can setup a 7/16" gap.<br /><br />Remove the spark plugs. Disconnect the large main RED electrical connector at the engine. Connect a small jumper wire (temporarily) from the battery cable at the starter solenoid to be used to touch one of the small 3/8" nuts that energizes the solenoid (not the ground 3/8" nut connection).<br /><br />If you now have spark, it is most likely that you have a shorted ignition switch which will require replacing. If no spark, simply install the powerpack and connect the wires to it in the same manner they were removed, then redo the test above.<br /><br />You can ignore the liquid neopreme statement if you like.... it's not necessary but it does comes in handy to insulate wiring terminals, connections etc as does electrical tape. You can look at that substance as a liquid form of electrical tape which can be purchased at any reliable auto parts/tool type store.

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys,<br /><br />Joe, I tested for spark by just holding the bare coil lead ends away from the block about 1/4 - 1/2 inch and cranked. Should I have done it differently? I think you mean hooking up a thick wire and bend it so the ends are 1/4 - 1/2 inch apart? Was my method valid?<br /><br />According to the previous owner the power pack on it now was a used unit which was replaced 7 years ago, so who knows how old it really is, so I'm just gonna replace it any way, hate to be out on the lake when it finally goes.<br /><br />I think the OMC manual is for mechanics. I probably should use manuals meant for hobbyists. Will check out soon.

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, one more thing,<br /><br />The boat's in the slip now. I'm thinking of pushing it out and turning it around and work from the dock. Anyone against this? My luck I'll drop a screw or worse the power pack into the water!! I think I can manage. Stop me now before it's too late!!

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here I go again,<br /><br />Before I begin with the new power pack, I've read the OMC manual some more and it looks like charge coils and sensors could be at fault too.<br /><br />almost retired again,<br />I didn't know I could check these items with a simple multimeter. According to their manual I thought I would have to use special neon testers and such. You said the charge coils should read between 177-212 volts. I'm curious as to what the sensor and charge coil leads should read. The test procedures from pages 4-7 to 4-11 really help narrow down the problems. If you (or anyone) could provide the correct multimeter readings for all input and output leads would be great, making life alot easier. ;) <br /><br />I rule out timing because it was running perfect about a month ago.<br /><br />Thanks again

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally got around to installing the power pack. I tilted up the motor and worked from inside the boat, all went well. The new power pack came with new gasket so I just left out the liquid neoprene part. The guys at the marina also hinted to me that my starter is getting old and not cranking fast enough/drawing high amps etc. so I just went ahead and replaced that too (seilermarine.com has really good prices on this).<br /><br />My motor started instantly, I almost jumped out of the boat :D It smoked badly for about two minutes, probably from all the fuel in it from trying to start it before.<br /><br />Just want you guys to know how much you guys helped me by helping others. I still search these forums all the times for better knowledge.<br /><br />Thanks again.