1974 Evinrude 70hp

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all:<br />I just purchased a 1974 70hp evinrude. I want to know if there is anything I should look out for on this motor and are they fairly decent? Alos is there anywhere I can get a cheap tilt&Trim. It has a tilt motor only not a tilt and trim.<br />Any info would be greatly appreciated<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1974 Evinrude 70hp

Aftermarket is available. Check here with a search.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

anybody else have any good info on these motors or experiences?

red boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My father in law has a 74 70 hp Evinrude and we'll just say maintenance is not one of his strong points. He belives if it aint broke dont fix it, I kinda agree but the only thing he does is put gas/oil in it. I think he does put plugs in it every 4-5 years, how they last that long I have no idea. he has had me replace the water pump twice since he bought it (please guys dont kill me for that one) I've tried to tell him but..... Anyhow his motor seems as it's Bullet-proof. Also since you just bought it you might want to do preventative maintenance at least plugs and a waterpump. Good luck and enjoy!!

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Red Boat:<br />Must be a good runner he has to do that little to it. Anybody else with suggestions?

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have another question. I had said the motor has a tilt only. I am just going by what previuos owner told me. Last night I hooked up battery to it(not on boat yet) to test it. It tilts up really strong, I treid to force it down with all my weight and it would not budge(I am 6'4" 220lbs). Could this possibly be a trim? It has 2 struts.<br /><br />Thanks again guys.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I don't understand what your looking for, if it tilts up than that's all you need to trim it out with. But definitely a good motor, I have a 75 and it is great, I would change the lower unit oil and fill/vent gaskets, do a waterpump, change plugs and see how it runs, maybe do a decarb also. You may want to pull the carbs and take a look at what kind of varnish is in them.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cricket thanks for response.<br />The motor tilts but when at speed it comes down? Does it possibly need to be refilled with fluid?<br />I have done the lower unit oil,did waterpump changed plugs. It runs really really good. I would just like to get the tilt trimming out. Is it possible it is only a tilt?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

It should stay wherever you put it, I would check the fluid.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I this motor does just have power tilt... it sounds like it is working. Power tilt is designed to tilt the motor up as opposed to having to manually tilt. But it is not designed to hold trim angle under full power.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how do I know if it is just a tilt or if its tilt and trim?