1974 Evinrude 115hp v4

Hi everyone, I'm rebuilding 2 old boats. I'm new to this and I'm learning a lot. I just got done rewiring 2 of the boats and did some repairs on the engines. Really enjoyed it. One of the engines water tubes a smashed. I have some questions if you don't mind answering. I have some extra water tubes they are in another engine I have that I wanted to rebuild. So my question... Would you/Could you repair the water tubes or replace them. My mind has tons of ideas how to repair them. Just don't know if they're right.
1: Cut the copper and solder a new piece on? I don't have the grommets it's the old style type.
2: Glue on some type of flexible tubing? Like Polaris pool hose or heater hose.
3: Or cut the smashed copper off and install the grommets, and hope for the best.

Another Question. I don't have water going out of the ports so, do you have to wait until the engine heats up before water returns? My other engine the water returns right when I turn the water on.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Hi everyone, I'm rebuilding 2 old boats. I'm new to this and I'm learning a lot. I just got done rewiring 2 of the boats and did some repairs on the engines. Really enjoyed it. One of the engines water tubes a smashed. I have some questions if you don't mind answering. I have some extra water tubes they are in another engine I have that I wanted to rebuild. So my question... Would you/Could you repair the water tubes or replace them. My mind has tons of ideas how to repair them. Just don't know if they're right.
1: Cut the copper and solder a new piece on? I don't have the grommets it's the old style type.
2: Glue on some type of flexible tubing? Like Polaris pool hose or heater hose.
3: Or cut the smashed copper off and install the grommets, and hope for the best.

Another Question. I don't have water going out of the ports so, do you have to wait until the engine heats up before water returns? My other engine the water returns right when I turn the water on.

Thanks
Cut and solder if you can find the parts. Correct length is critical.

Water should come out right away. It tells you your pump is supplying water but it doesn't say if it's circulating your motor.... so you can still overheat so be careful.

Looks like the under mount green LED's might pick up some fish!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Wouldn't it be difficult or impossible to cut and solder the pipes? I mean, aren't they way up inside there?
Replacing the pipes is a big job, requiring powerhead removal.
I've managed to salvage the old pipes by reshaping the ends as well as possible and using grommets

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Wouldn't it be difficult or impossible to cut and solder the pipes? I mean, aren't they way up inside there?
Replacing the pipes is a big job, requiring powerhead removal.
I've managed to salvage the old pipes by reshaping the ends as well as possible and using grommets
Depends on how far...but yes difficult.

I turned a short shaft into a long shaft by taking a 5 inch piece of soft copper, making my own flare and then shoved it home.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Depends on how far...but yes difficult.

I turned a short shaft into a long shaft by taking a 5 inch piece of soft copper, making my own flare and then shoved it home.

Quality workmanship, Not.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
OMC had kits to convert 15" motors to 20", they included Extensions for the Water Tubes, but these had couplings and O-rings to Insure the extension fit correctly, was leakproof. Maybe you lucked out, but I wouldn't have much Faith in piece of water pipe that been "Shoved it Home"
Lol, okay fair enough.

Flare worked great, tighten up well....very snug. Probably did get lucky somewhat but line pressure isn't that much there and the motor is still working great even today.

Here is the boat I was referring to.

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 9
How did your copper tubes get so screwed up?

Also, here is your pump replacement, they just show short rubber connectors..... why are you making pipes so long?
I have that water pump setup with the grommets. I bought the engine and didn't think about checking the water flow. I installed the engine on the boat and finally noticed no water flow. I pulled the lower unit and discovered the water tubes severely damaged. So instead of using the grommets I thought I would go with the original setup and use an upgraded water sleeve. Insuring the connection is sealed. I hate the fact that I'm wondering if it's sealed or not. Plus I think the water tubes aren't as long as they should be due to the damage.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
I have that water pump setup with the grommets. I bought the engine and didn't think about checking the water flow. I installed the engine on the boat and finally noticed no water flow. I pulled the lower unit and discovered the water tubes severely damaged. So instead of using the grommets I thought I would go with the original setup and use an upgraded water sleeve. Insuring the connection is sealed. I hate the fact that I'm wondering if it's sealed or not. Plus I think the water tubes aren't as long as they should be due to the damage.
I see.

Not sure that your heated pipe will shrink enough. You could maybe use PEX A pipe and a expansion tool like plumbers use. Not sure of your dimension though.

I see.

Not sure that your heated pipe will shrink enough. You could maybe use PEX A pipe and a expansion tool like plumbers use. Not sure of your dimension though.
I actually tried pex at first. The pex didn't work. It didn't seal well and the diameter wasn't as close as this Polaris tubing. It actually does shrink(polaris tubing) and seals well. I tested it first before I started.