1974 Crysler 55hp No Spark

bill1134

Cadet
Hi I just picked this motor up and there is no spark .I cleaned and set the points to .020, still no spark.Is there a way I can check the coils with my ohm meter.The coils are under the flywheel and there is no alternator on this motor.I have the 2 black wires disconnected from the terminal strip that go up under the flywheel i assume their to kill the motor

Thanks Bill

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 Crysler 55hp No Spark

Yes. The twp wires that look like lamp cord are the kill wires they are either black or brown.

I don't know what the resistance values should be on the magneto coils, but in both primary and secondary there should be resistance. 0 ohms indicates a shorted winding and infinite ohms indicates a broken winding. Both primary and secondary are grounded through the wire screwed to the laminated core or possibly the point mount screw. Grounded is not a good word.There are two wires coming from the magneto coil. One is grounded and the other connects to the points insulated terminal. This is the primary coil. Secondary is obviously grounded through the sparkplug. However, it is also common with one of the primary wires

However, before you do that, check the condensers to be certain the wires are not rubbing against the inside of the flywheel. Check to see that they are in good condition --no cracked cases. Make sure they are wired to the points, and correctly. Check and be sure that the cam is on the shaft correctly: arrow side up if it has an arrow on it.

bill1134

Cadet

Thanks for the info i've gone from having no spark to having intermittant spark .I guess i'll get some points and condensers and try that.The coils are probably ok.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Make sure you use your throttle cable and put it at full throttle to set the points.
Clean and gap the points, They are fussy on these motors. (At least on mine they are)

If you can't find condensers you can get at any auto store, just match them up to size.

antique fisherman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got my points and condensers for my 1966 50hp Chrysler at auto parts store. The ones for a '66 Plymouth Valiant fit and works in my engine great. GOOD LUCK

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Condensors for the 55hp chrysler at NAPA part #FM200 around $11-13$