1974 Chrysler outboard

hoofbite

Seaman
Hey All,

Well first post!! Glad to find this sight looks like it could be very helpfull and I hope to maybe help out other!!

Here's the deal I'm constantly fouling plugs on my 1974 75hp outboard, I'm no genius but I've mixed enough tanks to know what is what as far as 50:1 goes. SO given I have the proper fuel mixture I can only assume that I'm not getting good spark as I have noticed some spitting at higher rpm's. ANy ideas as to where a guy should go from here?

I do have a manual in the mail, but in the mean time I thought i'd use the power of the people.

Thx,

hoofbite

Seaman
Re: 1976 chyrsler

Re: 1976 chyrsler

I messed, sorry I'm unsure how to edit the actual thread title but after referencing the model number (757hc) the motor is a 1976 not 74. For what it's worth?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 Chrysler outboard

50-1 1 pint to 6 gal.Check the fuel pump diaphram for spitting.Then remove the carb and check the reeds.Do a comp check too.
Reset the idle air screw.In till it just bottoms, then out 1 and 1/8 turn. Start IN the water.Turn the screw in till it stutters,coughs or slows down.Then back out 1/2 turn.J

hoofbite

Seaman

Thanks JJ!! Well compression test was good all 3 at 140. I'm still waiting on my manual to come via mail. I'm not clear where or what as far as the fuel diaphragm goes. The motor idles really nice!! The plugs I have two new sets and should be OK!! An interesting point you made regarding the ethanol! The station close to my house (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) has a high ethanol content so I won't be filling up there anymore. I will update just as soon as I play with the diaphragm.

hoofbite

Seaman

Well fueled up both tanks this morning and headed out. I haven't dug too deep I to the motor yet (waiting on manual) I did clean alot of crap off the motor (foam insulation from inside the cover is crumbling) anyways WOT 4 guys (750-800lbs) got her going GOOD 5800rpm approximate 38 mph blew through a tank pretty quick!!! Anyways ran out of gas switched tanks and carried on for 10 minutes or so then the motor started spitting again after about 4200rpm???

I'm thinking of starting from the tank/fittings/fuel line??? I'll post the results in the mean time any other ideas would be most welcome.

Cheers.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What lake were you at?I'm from Edmonton also.Got a 73 120hp.

hoofbite

Seaman

Hey!! I was just out at wabamun. It's pretty much the closest lake to let er rip. Or let the motor take a big dump. Lol. Back to the drawing board this morning going to do some more motor work.

89retta

You should go to Alberta beach,but launch over at west cove.Better than the main lake.

hoofbite

Seaman

Not sure if this is causing a problem... but I found it stuffed into the air intake on the #2 Carb. LOL. The original reciept for the motor purchase!!

Attachments

• reciept.jpg
    reciept.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 0

hoofbite

Seaman

Well what a stupid thing to contribute to the forum!!! Try removing the original reciept for the motor purchase from the air intake!!!

(39.12mph/63kph) smooth as silk!!! Unbelievable. Ohhhh man do these ol 2 strokes burn gas!!! I love it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If you can run 5800rpm that loaded.The prop you have is to small.Go up in pitch. Say 17 to a 19.You will see a difference in performance and economy.J

89retta

Since no one asked.How much was the reciept for?

hoofbite

Seaman

I ve attached the picture above. However it just has the name of the seller "blu fin marine" the purchaser, date and model and serial#. it's pretty small about 3" x 4" just big enough to block the hole though. Lol

hoofbite

Seaman

If you can run 5800rpm that loaded.The prop you have is to small.Go up in pitch. Say 17 to a 19.You will see a difference in performance and economy.J

I would definitely like to give that a shot. I'm a little confused searching for props I search it on here but there is nothing specific to the year of my motor. Can I assume there is something available? I see 18x15 stamped on the prop. And there is no exaust port through the hub just a cone shaped cap win a pin hdi g the prop on.

hoofbite

Seaman

Pictures worth a 1000 words. Here's the prop.

Attachments

• prop.jpg
    prop.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 0