1974 135 hp temp alarm? tach?

The Grail

Cadet
I recently bought a 1982 20' Sportcraft Fisherman with a 1974 135 hp model # 135ETL74B. It sat for one year since the previous owner bought a new boat. Prior to that, he says he used it regularly. I did the basic checks and the Seafoam De-carb treatment, and have had it on the water a number of times, enough to run through about 40 gallons of gas, and it seems to run well. Still smokes, though, at startup and idle. It came with a Clymer manual, and I agree with everyone -it's too general, and I will be ordering a service manual soon. Until then, a few questions:

1) Does this motor have an overheat alarm/horn? I've seen no evidence of overheating, and the pee stream seems good.

2) Is this motor wired for a tach? It doesn't have one installed and I have no idea what the rpms are at idle, WOT or anywhere in between.

3) Is the tilt/trim motor and pump normally mounted inside the boat? This one is on the outside, beside the transom mount. The pump motor sits halfway in the water, and would seem to explain why it doesn't work. I took apart the electric motor, and it's really rusted inside. When I rebuild or replace it, should I mount it inside the boat?

Thanks for your input. This site continues to be a great source of information and inspiration.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1974 135 hp temp alarm? tach?

#1:yes its in th controls,to test find the wire coming out of the starboard cylinder head.there is a black sleeve on it,slide the sleeve out of the way you should be able to disconnect wire,with the key in the on not start position touch the wire to ground.should hear a shreek from controls if not replace horn in controls.
#2 inside the controls is a gray wire that is your tach feed.
#3 dont know sorry
hope that was some help

The Grail

Cadet
Re: 1974 135 hp temp alarm? tach?

I found the overheat wire, tested it, and it didn't sound. Next, I'll chase it down and check the horn in the control box. Thanks tschamp20 for the info.

Does anyone have an opinion on the tilt/trim location?