1973 Johnson 115 (MODEL 115ESL73) shifting problem

SourKandi

Cadet
I've read through some of the other posts about shifting problems, but haven't specifically found an answer for my issue, so I am posting a new thread.

Background: purchased a 73 Lakeflight tri-hull with the motor that came with it purchased new in 1973(the motor listed in the topic). I'm the 3rd owner after the son of the original purchaser inherited and sat on it for a couple years, only taking it out once or twice.

Upon purchase last year, performed tune-up; new plugs, rebuilt carburetors, new gear oil, cleaned out gas tanks, sea foamed... Once all that was done, it ran fairly wonderfully until I ran across some boulders in my local river and bent up the prop. After shutting off the engine to maneuver away, it took about 30 minutes to get it started back up. Once it started, we made it home safely with no other issues besides some shaking due to the notches in the prop. This was towards the end of boating days (late September here in the south) so until I repaired or purchased a new prop, she sat.

I could not find any indication that the shaft was bent in any way. I installed my new propeller last month. Engine fired immediately however I did not try to shift before I put into water. Once in the water, engaged reverse to clear the trailer, once out a bit, back into neutral. Although in neutral, it felt like the prop may have still been spinning as the boat moved noticeably while in N. When I shifted into forward, the boat went reverse-kinda unexpectedly and the revs were high. I tried a few more times and fwd goes reverse, reverse goes reverse.

Might this merely be an incorrectly adjusted shift cable? When looking at the motor I felt like the cables might have shifted a bit. The adjustment nut seemed like it wasn't really where it should be.

The only thing I did this year was new gear oil and new prop. I wasn't sure how to adjust rpms after installation as my tach is not working.

I did open the remote to make sure the cables were attached, and I didn't see anything suspiciously unattached or broken.

Any suggestions & input will help and are greatly appreciated. thank you!

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Any damage to the nose of the lower unit ?----Pictures ?-----------Topped up / checked oil in the lower unit ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1. Check the gear oil. That motor has Powershift, which uses the gear oil as a hydraulic fluid. Motor has to be running for Powershift pump to work.

2. Disconnect the cables from the motor and see if it shifts normally by hand (at the motor). If it does, fix the controls.

SourKandi

Cadet
Any damage to the nose of the lower unit ?----Pictures ?-----------Topped up / checked oil in the lower unit ?

Damage on underside of lower unit, possibly towards front. But it was running and working. Switched to aluminum from stainless prop tho.

Will check oil again, I failed to check level after I started it..

Thanks.

Edit: damage on lower part of the fin towards the rear of the fin

Last edited:

SourKandi

Cadet
1. Check the gear oil. That motor has Powershift, which uses the gear oil as a hydraulic fluid. Motor has to be running for Powershift pump to work.

2. Disconnect the cables from the motor and see if it shifts normally by hand (at the motor). If it does, fix the controls.

Like racerone suggested I am checking gear oil again.

I was not sure which direction the shift lever moves for fwd/reverse, I'm a novice and my service manual doesn't actually state that! The manual I have is for the specific year/model I have.

SourKandi

Cadet
Hey guys here with an update:

Broken shift cable is the culprit. Needed a second hand (and a buddy with years of boat experience) took him about 5 minutes to figure it out.

Thanks for the suggestions! I still needed to top up my gear oil and wouldn't have thought of it without your input!!!

Now to find my cable...