1973 Evinrude 65

Naw9119

Cadet
My dad just game me his old boat and it is in need of a complete restore. It has a 1973 Evinrude 65 triumph on it. I was just wondering if anybody has info on this engine? Maybe a owners or service manual. Something off that nature.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Naw, there are places on the web to actually see a break down of your engine. And there are also paces to buy the FACTORY shop manual that I highly suggest as well. Seems in '73, Evinrude made two versions of your engine. But there are some parts still available for it... Parts are available on here for your engine as well. If you want to see a break down of your engine, go to boats dot com, type in your engine specifics and have look see. If you want any parts, check here for the best buys...

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Last edited:

Naw9119

Cadet
Sorry it took me so long to get back (been crazy busy). I ordered a manual and got started. I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, installed new spark plugs, one coil, cleaned the fuel pump, and replaced the fuel lines. She started right up without any issues. I just have a few more questions. It has been debated on here about having water come out of the two vents on the motor. Some say it should after the engine warms up and some say it should not. Is there and definite to this? Also I have been looking everywhere to try to find some info on the air filter for this engine. Mine does not have one and I can not find one or where is should go. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Hard facts are.------There never was an air fiter installed , nor does it need one ?----Water will spit out of those 2 holes you speak off after warm-up.-----Replace pump impeller too.----Test the hot horn in your control box !

Naw9119

Cadet
When I started it I did not run it long. Is there a way to test if the sensor that triggers the hot horn is working. I know the horn work I put power to it and it sounded. I plan on replacing the impeller too. I'm trying to find someone local, but it seems impossible.

Naw9119

Cadet
Does anybody know where the thermostat is? Is that something I should check?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Top / back of the cylinderhead is a wee cover.----Thermostat is in there.