1973 Comoro Under Floor Drain Plug

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
After I changed the oil of the Mercruiser on my 19V this morning, I was wiping up the spilled oil (a lot) in the bilge. Just under the oil pan, the floor slants down into the lower area of the bilge. I noticed something sticking out of the slanted area and upon closer look, it was a rubber plug. I pulled it out and a stream of water poured out from under the floor area. Must have been several gallons. As I have no lower compartment area in this boat, there is no access under the floor but apparently there is a lot of water that collects there.
I have had this boat since the summer of 2012 and never noticed this plug before today. Do other boats have these?

southkogs

Staff member
I don't know of one, but my bilge has been pretty dirty. However, based on your description it wouldn't matter on mine ... water would bypass right to the drain plug. Is it forward of the engine?

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just below the rear of the oil pan. I pulled it down my driveway that is on an angle and let it drain as much as possible. I put the drain plug in and dumped a bucket if hof water and Dawn dishwasher detergent in the bilge and scrubbed it good. Pulled the plug and drained into a 5 gal. bucket. Clean bilge.

southkogs

Staff member
So, is your garboard drain below the sole/floor of the boat? I've never really seen mine from the inside (now that I think of it), and had always assumed I just couldn't see it 'cuz of the intermediate for the Stringer sittin' there. My Comoro doesn't drain much water once I get her back on the trailer ... It's pretty water tight.