1973 9.5 Evinrude Questions

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am kinda fixing up my father in laws newly purchased 73 9.5 hp. Did evinrude make this motor or farm it out to someone else. Hehe. I have worked on many different evinrudes but this one seems like an odd duck.

Tell tale hose is leaking. Can I just use a regular hose and stick it out of the motor hole?

50 to 1 correct?

Anything else I shoud look at? I fired it up tonight and it seem to run pretty well. Although the kill switch wiring coating is falling off. And the switch did not kill it. I will rewire it.

Thanks for any help. Metty

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 9.5 Evinrude Questions

Both the kill switch (#0379638) and the exhaust relief hose (#0309830) should be replaced, although the hose may be more difficult to find.

I would contact sea-way.com for a price; they usually have most of the parts for the 9.5HP motors. http://www.sea-way.com/orderform.htm

You may want to update the kill switch to one with an emergency lanyard - the universal one sold here at iboats will work. http://www.iboats.com/Seadog-Univer...89514236--**********.907300958--view_id.39677

Use the BRP/Evinrude parts catalog site to determine which parts are actively listed: http://shop.evinrude.com/

50:1 is correct: 87 US octane to TC-W3 oil. Less smoke and plug fouling using synthetic or synthetic blend TC-W3.

The motor will also run cleaner and better if the thermostat is functioning properly.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

No, this is an OMC product 100% This was the first of the "low profile" designs introduced. This I believe is the last year of the 9.5. It was replaced with the low profile 9.9, which is a completely different design all together. The 9.5 replaced the older 10hp and started in 1964.

I would just replace the tell tale hose with a piece of fuel hose (available at Napa) the same size.:cool:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

So, how come you have a tell-tale hose? Evinrude didn't put one on it. Somebody add it? The normal "tell tale" is it blows water out the exhaust relief hose. Or is that what you are talking about?

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a tell tale on this one. The hose is large and corragated looking. The old hose was leaking and so old and hard I had to cut it to get it off.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I would just replace the tell tale hose with a piece of fuel hose (available at Napa) the same size.:cool:

Assuming that you are referring to the exhaust relief hose, that's a bad idea; The hose needs to be airtight so that exhaust does not get back inside the cowl and it needs to be flexible enough to absorb the movement of the engine inside.

I hope that you will at least try to get the OE part.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

kbait

Commander

I always call Tim's outboard 218-682-2331 for used parts. They almost always have what I need, nice price and quick ship. Tell Dan that kirby sent ya.. haha.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Assuming that you are referring to the exhaust relief hose, that's a bad idea; The hose needs to be airtight so that exhaust does not get back inside the cowl and it needs to be flexible enough to absorb the movement of the engine inside.

I hope that you will at least try to get the OE part.

He said "tell tale" hose and I gave the correct answer. Had he said "exhaust relief hose" I would have to say, stay with OEM on THAT part. They are not a basic design even though they look like a radiator hose:D:D