1973 65hp starting question

Imlanctot

Cadet
Hi guys... I just bought a 1973 65 hp 2 stoke. So I should say that that the previous owner install the engine with Mercury controls. So my question is I have to prime the engine with a squirt bottle of mixed fuel to start cold. Once started I runs fine so I think somehow with the merc controls I'm missing the proper priming system. Any help would be great I don't mind finding Evinrude controls if that's what I need. Thanks in advance Mark

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Need to find the wire in that control to operate the electric choke.----Used controls with the red plug are quite plentiful.------After you evaluate this motor , compression test.-----Install a new water pump impeller.----If motor is a keeper , look for a control box.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Put away the squirt bottle.. Motor is supposed to have a manual choke knob on the front of the cowl pan. If memory serves correct, the knob has 3 positions, Choke, Automatic (electric), and Choke Off.

Hm.m.m.m., wondering, do those Merc controls work otherwise????

Imlanctot

Cadet
Ya the merc controls seem to work otherwise. The manual choke seems to work fine as well but I still need to prime her.

Imlanctot

Cadet
Need to find the wire in that control to operate the electric choke.----Used controls with the red plug are quite plentiful.------After you evaluate this motor , compression test.-----Install a new water pump impeller.----If motor is a keeper , look for a control box.
Compression is 110 in all 3. I have an electric choke button on the dash but it shuts off as soon as I start to crank which is not right so I use the manual choke on the engine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is NOT really automatic !!-----When it left the factory the choke would come on part way when key was turned on.----Operator still had to understand that toggle switch was to be operated for full choke.----When motor warmed the " automatic " part would kick off.----Since we cannot see your 50 year old motor we cannot tell if changes were made by 6 previous owners.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Compression at 110 PSI is considered low.----Perhaps test with another gauge.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Nevertheless, with manual choke, it should not be necessary to squirt gas in from a bottle. How does this thing run otherwise? Have you actually run it on the lake? Hate to be a pessimist, but I suspect serious internal engine damage.

Imlanctot

Cadet
Nevertheless, with manual choke, it should not be necessary to squirt gas in from a bottle. How does this thing run otherwise? Have you actually run it on the lake? Hate to be a pessimist, but I suspect serious internal engine damage.
Ya i agree. I does seem to run fine otherwise but I have not run it on the lake yet until I can get it to start properly. But I will get a good compression gauge and do a proper compression test first and go from there.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Those 65hp motors are notorious (in my experience anyway) for water ingestion into the cylinders, destroying everything inside. My father-in-law went through three of them in short order.