1973 18 HP evinrude/ Kicks out of gear

pieps57

Cadet
This motor was owned by my dad for many years. Had It on his fishing boat for along time while i was younger. Worked with no problems. After sitting in our basement for about 8 years I decided to take it out and put it on my new duck boat. Well I did the normal things....carb...plugs...replace all fluids etc.....it fired up no prob and runs GREAT.

when i ran it in the barrel filled with water everything worked great and i had it in forward and reverse with no problems.
Today I took it on the lake and when i got up to 3/4 to full throttle it VIOLENTLY kicks out of gear and into nuetral!!!

So i tried again, speeding up VERY slow and same result. It SLAMS back to neutral!! As logn as i stay at or under half throttle it stays in gear.

So I am wondering is this a common problem? Is it something wore out in the shifter?A gear or somthign in the lower unit?

I dont know anything about boat motor lower units or much at all about motors...

So any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1973 18 HP evinrude/ Kicks out of gear

It's a common problem. It is a worn out component in your lower unit called the clutch dog. It is the gear that engages the forward gear. Some 18's (not sure about yours) you can pull the LU apart and reverse the clutch dog and swap the forward and reverse gears and get forward working again. Otherwise you're looking at a couple of hundred dollars for a new clutch dog and forward gear I believe I have heard... and then they have to be installed...

It will only get worse if you keep using it at or above the speed where that happens... If you run it slower and it does not happen you'll be ok... I was out in my '58 18hp today and it was running well...

pieps57

Cadet

Well after extensive research last nite and everyone leading to the clutch dogs...I pulled the lower part apart this morning and the clutch dogs look great. I even took them into the marina by me and they said they look fine....SO now what?? Shifter linkage?? I dont knw what to try now??

jasper60103

Commander

As long as you have the gearcase apart. You may want to check 20-23 and work your way up.

18_gearcase_1973.jpg

shift rod connector

18_shiftLinkage_1973.jpg

also, here is the shift lever assembly. May need an adjustment?

18_shifter_1973.jpg

pieps57

Cadet

I priced the clutch dog...OUCH....110 just for that middle clutch dog piece that slides on the shaft!!!Thats at my local boat motor dealer.

I checked all the linkage and tightened everything up and still kicks out....but I have heard that even a little wear on the gears and clutch dogs will make it kick out at higher rpm's.

So I am wondering is there anywhere i can get replacement parts online for cheaper?

lindy46

Captain

Usually if the clutch dog is worn, the gears are also worn, which adds to the expense. I would look for a good used lower unit on Ebay or go to AOMCI.org and check webvertize.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

You can try to reverse the dog and the gears. Not sure if on the later 18's you can still do that but take a look as you have it apart.

pieps57

Cadet

Yea I am going to switch it around....I was wondering if anyone could get me some close up pics of what a good clutch dog and gear looks like?

I mean to me it looks fine and theres no metal shavings or such......

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

There will be no shavings, just worn edges. Make sure all the edges are sharp and not rounded over.

If you PM me your email address I will email you a doc I have on it. It's too big to post here.