1972 Ted Williams 3hp Gamefisher won't idle

Jeremy33pa

Recruit
Picked up a new to me running 72 sears 3.0 and it starts but won't idle .. checked the bowl it was clean drained the E10 fuel mix and added 40:1 Trufuel with about a tablespoon Sta-bil FastFix which is supposed to clean carbs but it dies when I throttle down to idle...Idle Adjust knob seems to do nothing it's halfway turned out...would it be better if I turned it all the way out counterclockwise to start with ? Maybe the carb just needs to soak overnight otherwise I'll have to pull the carb apart...Is there a way to clean the idle jet without removing the carb ?Runs smooth at all other speeds... I really appreciate any advice on idle tuning this motor thanks

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Can you post model number. But however initial start up is one turn out from seated both high and low speed jets. Adjust from there to achieve max performance. Your post says 3hp and it looks to be a 5

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Also I would run a 24:1 mix if its pre-1974. Thats what the service manual suggest.

Jeremy33pa

Recruit
21758544 is the model # the gas tank is new the old one may have been rusty and the guy i bought it from cleaned the carb last season I think it was stored with E10...I'm going to remove the fuel shut off valve and clean it because in videos I've seen it spins freely mine felt gritty when I turned it full out ...others on this forum run trufuel but ill try finding ethanol free gas as well

Jeremy33pa

Recruit
Also is there a replacement tecumseh carb i can buy off Amazon for the ted williams series Gamefishers ?

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Its a 75 and a 3hp. 32:1 fuel mix and you can find one on ebay or amazon but you will have to do some modifications

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
And dont only search Ted or Gamefisher, those are all Eska motors. They have a leg that was made by Clinton with a Tecumseh power heads

airshot

Rear Admiral
You would be better of rebuilding the existing carb if it is the original....buying aftermarket is a real crapshoot.
Nothing wrong with E10 as long as your fuel lines are good with it. Ad a couple spoonfulls of stabilizer and you are good to go. Been using it in all my old engines after upgrading the fuel lines since it came out with O issues...you just need to do some maintenence same as you do with any fuel.