1972 Johnson 6hp Rewind Starter Rope Broke

dheitman62

Cadet
Does any one know the "trick" to anchoring the rope to the rewind starter on a 1972 6hp Johnson - Model # 6R72D?

I have looked at several different manuals - they all show the same procedure, but every time I do it, the rope comes out on the first pull and then I have to rewind the spring again.

There has to be a trick.

(p.s. - This problem was originally posted in the wrong place, so I am repeating it here...sorry)

AlTn

Commander
Re: 1972 Johnson 6hp Rewind Starter Rope Broke

the rope comes completely off the spool?..or it just hangs w/o rewinding?...if the latter....you must wind the spring first..13 winds or so...jam the spool so it can't unwind....feed the rope thru the slot in the spool, under the level wind rod <forgot proper term>,out the hole then attach the handle...now holding the rope between your fingers, release the spool and allow the rewind spring to "pull" the rope back on the spool...use a figure 8 knot to attach the rope to the spool is the beginning step

dheitman62

Cadet

Thanks AlTn. The rope did come completely off of the spool. I did wind the spring. I just can't seem to get the rope anchored to the spool. Do you think maybe my rope is not quite long enough? I cut it at 54" per the service manual.

I'll try again and let you know. Thanks!!!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

The pics below show how the cord is anchored by a knot on a slightly later model

A "figure of eight knot" would be adequate. A "double overhand stopper knot" nicer if you are proud of your knotting skills

http://www.animatedknots.com/stopper/index.php
:D

dheitman62

Cadet

Good advice guys! The figure eight works tons better than the confusing spaghetti knot they have in the manual

Here's what it said (with accompanying photos):

6. Feed one end of the new rope through the spool anchor, make a loop, and then thread the end back through the hole in the anchor. Do not pull it tight at this time - leave a loop.
7. Bring the short end of the rope through the loop just formed.
8. Work the short end back through the anchor.
9. Now, pull both ends of the rope tight. Feed the rope through the front engine cowling, and then install the starter rope handle.
10. Pull and hold tension on the rope and at the same time remove the pliers from under the pinion gear. Allow the starter rope to rewind in a normal manner.
11. After the rope is fully wound onto the starter spool, the rope handle should be up tight against the cowling. If the handle is not up tight, the rope was installed to long or the starter spring is weak and should be replaced

full_130110p11.jpg

Feed the end of the new rope through the spool anchor and make a loop. . .

full_130110p12.jpg

. . .and then bring the short end of the rope through the loop

full_130110p13.jpg

Now work the short end back through the anchor. . .

full_130110p14.jpg

. . .and pull both ends tight

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

You could not do it like that on my spool I don't think.
I wonder why anyone ever thought that was good idea. It is secured round the spool I suppose rather than just to the "anchor".

AlTn

Commander

yeah, sheeesh....glad you had success....that animated knot site is great, used it several times for fishing knots