1972 Johnson 50

cretus

Seaman
I'm removing the lower unit to change the impeller and cant figure out where the hydroshift wires unplug at. The only wires I see going down run directly into the harness.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1972 Johnson 50

Matt,
If I recall correctly, the wires do disconnect and you can do it when you get the lower unit down 3 or 4 inches. The connectors are knife style, and are covered up really good with rubber to make them waterproof. You have to pull the rubber back to get to the connector, being EXTREMELY careful that you don't tear the rubber. If so, you'd better buy some good quality heat shrink to replace the cover with, and use some silicone and cross your fingers. Look for a very slight bulge in the wires. It might be best to disconnect the blue and green wires inside the cowl before the go down the midsection, just to get a feel for how you do it before you do the important ones in the midsection. My '72 50 has held up to my dad's almost daily use for about a month now, so they are probably right up there with the toughest outboards ever built.......my dad can tear up anything :)
Later,
JBJennings

cretus

Seaman
Re: 1972 Johnson 50

Thanks I found the rubber under the cowl. It was dry rotted and crumbled. I just tied some string to them and pulled the whole wire out with boot. I heat shrank them back in when I pulled them back up.