1972 EVINRUDE TRIUMPH 65HP, WON'T START?

72 Roody

Cadet
NEW HERE AND LOOKING FOR SOME HELP! i RECENTLY PURCHASED A 1972 EVINRUDE TRIUMPH, 65HP. oF COURSE,IT HAS BEEN REBUILT, RAN LAST YEAR AND ALL IT NEEDS IS A POWER PACK. SO, HERE'S THE JOURNEY. I PURCHASED THE POWER PACK, AND INSTALLED IT. WON'T START? I PURCHASED 3 NEW COILS, WON'T START? I PURCHASED A BRAND NEW BATTERY, WON'T FIRE? I'VE DONE SOME WIRE TESTING AND CAN'T MAKE HEADS OR TAILS OF WHAT'S HOT AND WHAT'S NOT. IT'S GETTING PLENTY OF GAS TO THE CARBS, AND DOESN'T ATTEMPT TO START. AN OBVIOUS ISSUE IS THAT IT'S NOT GETTING ANY HOT TO THE 6 SPOT ON THE POWER PACK. NOW FROM THE LOOKS OF THE WIRING JOB, WELL, THE GUY THAT OWNED HAS NO BUSINESS MESSING WITH WIRES. BUT THE GUY I BOUGHT IT FROM SAYS HE WAS FISHING IN IT LAST SPRING AND THE MOTOR DIED ON HIM IN THE WATER AND HE ASSUMED IT WAS THE POWER PACK. ANYTHING TO HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! :confused: :confused:

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: 1972 EVINRUDE TRIUMPH 65HP, WON'T START?

Your first step should be to get a manual and pay close attention to the wiring diagrams. Trace and test circuits, especially if the electrics have been 'messed with'. Too many variables right now to troubleshoot via the internet. I hope you get the old girl back up and running soon. :)

72 Roody

Cadet

GOT A MANUAL, AND FROM THE LOOKS OF THINGS, THAT GUY THAT SHOULDN'T BE MESSIN WITH WIRES, HAS RIGGED THE COIL BRACKETON THE MOTOR, SO I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF THIS IS THE CORRECT IGNITION COIL BRACKET. AND A FEW CUT OFF WIRES! aRRRGHHH

72 Roody

Cadet

New Rectifier, No Spark at the plugs. Stator is the only component of the ignition system to be replaced? Any suggestions on what and where to get testers for these components?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

72 Roody

Cadet

Gonna fo ahead and replace the stator.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

rectifer converts the ac voltage of the engine to dv voltage to charge the battery. has nothing to due with spark. before you buy a stator due a compression check it may not be worth a stator. post the results

ajestrab

Recruit

can you post an image or e-mail an image of the wireing diagram in your book, I have a 73 and have the same feeling about the wireing. Someone has messed with it and I think put things where things shouldn't be.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For crying out loud, Roody, stop replacing parts!! I sure hope you saved the good parts you took out. You have already spent more on parts you didn't need than the engine is worth.

Go to the Engine FAQs and troubleshoot from "Outboard wont start".

Verify that ignition is really the problem.

Once you know what system is at fault come back and tell us what you found. Then we can help.