1972 Evinrude 85hp Starflite

jjoediv

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1972 evinrude starflite that I need controls for. What controls will work with this motor and where can I get them. I would prefer a center console mounted control rather than side mount.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Evinrude 85hp Starflite

The 1972 85 hp engine was the last year for the electric shift lower units. Control boxes for this engine have long since been discontinued and today's boxes will not work on this engine. You will occasionally find them still around-check out EBAY. They did make a binacle mount in 1972, though those were not as popular as the side mount version.

jjoediv

Seaman Apprentice

the binacle mount is what I have on the boat now. I'm stuck! Does anyone have a control for sale for this motor?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

OOPS! emd is certainly correct. Thank you sir for clearing this up.<br /><br />Joe...Joe Reeves posted in a thread on how to make a shift switch using a toggle switch. Not really recommended because of the loss of the safety features that are in the OEM shift switch's. I just can't find the darn thread he posted it in. I'll keep lookin' and see if it pops up.

jjoediv

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks OBJ, Hope you can find that darn thread. I do have the original manual for that motor! I'd rather be unsafe on the water than safe on land !!!! Please keep looking

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Do you have controls now but their broken, or just don't have any at all? I see controls on ebay reguarly, but always the side mount type.<br /><br />I actually found and bought a brand new set of elec shift controls there.

jjoediv

Seaman Apprentice

I have the binacle type that are broken! I suppose I could make something to hold side mount but I don't know which ones will run this motor! Can you fill me in?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Check out this Ebay control box.It is not the conceal mount that you have-it is the conventional type. The ebay number is: 4639871837