1972 evinrude 65hp transom mounts

tempus fugit

Cadet
Hi-
New here and searched for my answers before deciding to post. I have a 1972 evinrude 65hp triumph that runs well but the transom mount casting around the lift lever cracked. I purchased a 1973 johnson 65hp for parts after cross referencing the transom part and upon inspection found it to be very, very different. As a matter of fact the whole transom mounting unit does not even match the diagram that i referenced. It has 2 shocks(?) on the underside while the 72 simply has a few rods. levers and springs. It does not appear to be hydraulic. I did some rough measurements and it may actually fit the 72 but I am unsure. So my question here is, does anyone know off hand if it will fit? The parts motor is in pretty rough shape and it seems that it will be a huge project getting the steering arm bolts loose from the main unit. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. My evinrude model number is 65273 and the johnson parts motor is 65esl-73r.
thanks!
mike

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 evinrude 65hp transom mounts

If I remember right they won't interchange. Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up the mts and compare parts. '73 was the first year they changed the mounting brackets.

tempus fugit

Cadet
Re: 1972 evinrude 65hp transom mounts

If I remember right they won't interchange. Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up the mts and compare parts. '73 was the first year they changed the mounting brackets.

thanks for the help, looks like the short shaft 73 and up had the same parts as mine and that's the parts diagram I had looked at. At least a few of the other parts are good for spares.