1972 Evinrude 125HP battery decision

tdg

Recruit
Well, it's time for a new battery in my boat. I have a 1972 Crestliner Muskie 17 with a 1972 125HP Envinrude motor.

I have read several posts about the ignition system and how it works and how critical the battery health is for this system. Some of them mention not using maintance free batteries. I understand what a maintenance free battery is, but I do not understand what difference it would make which kind I use. Any input?

Is there a recommendation of a minimum CCA battery I should use?

Since the battery is such a critical component to this ignition, should I run all of the other electronics (stereo, depth finder, lights, tilt) off of a separate deep cycle battery?

Any and all help is appreciated.

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1972 Evinrude 125HP battery decision

As long as you have decent cranking amps (600 or better) and your engine starts easily you should have a problem no matter if it is maintenance free or not. I don't think you can even but the old kind where you had to check the water in them. I would run my depth finder and trolling motor off of a deep cycle battery. Lights, tilt, and other stuff should be fine on your regular battery. Someone will disagree with me, and that is fine, but this is what I've been doing for 35 years and haven't had any trouble.

tdg

Recruit
Re: 1972 Evinrude 125HP battery decision

I wasn't sure I could get a "non-maintenance free" battery any longer either. I think I will move the accessories off of the starting battery. Thanks for the input.