1972/85hp worth saving?

bigNATE®

Cadet
I bought this motor last fall and I havnt touched it until today because I wasnt going to do work to the motor until I had the title, anyways I paid $25 for it because it needed work and had been sitting, well I went to try and spin it over tonite and nothing, it is not locked up from no oil but a light coating of rust on the cylinder walls and some light pitting on the lower two cylinders, heres some pics:<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br />right now I am debating on what to do with this motor, around here a 85hp motor is worth about a grand in ok running condition and about $1500 if reciently freshened up... I could just part it out on ebay and get a couple hundred from the parts, or have the lower two cylinders bored and all four honed for about $120 and then $150 for pistons and rings and do all the work myself when I am bored, or go and buy a 78' 115hp powerhead from a local boat salvage yard for $300 and put it in and then have a 115 hp motor... I just dont know what to do.. river season is about a month away so I still have time to get things done, it is just that I am unsure if this motor/powerhead is worth the trouble... opinions?<br />Nate~

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1972/85hp worth saving?

I wouldn't. The electric shift gearcase and amplified ignition system are major weak points that can be very expensive to repair if/when parts can be found.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Likely that this is the vintage where the 85 hp engine was 92 cubic inches. All other crossflow v4's are 99.6 cubic inch models. Go with the newer block.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The 115 powerhead won't fit your older 85 unit. If you're looking for a fun project and plan on doing the work yourself, tinker away. If you're looking for a reliable, turn-key motor for the family boat, part it out and use the procedes for something else...<br />- Scott

bigNATE®

Cadet

it is for the "family fun" boat, my problem is that when you put the words "reliable" and turn-key in the same sentance as outboard it tends to get way expensive... I can afford $350-500 right now and that wont even get me a new 5hp briggs outboard, lol

jjoediv

Seaman Apprentice

do you have the controls and wire harness? I would consider buying them if they are the type with a black plug at the end of the wiring

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

being electric shift, i say part it out. the best omc shop here, will no longer even consider working on electric shift motors.